1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

French Cuckoo Maran chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by buff_the_rooster, Sep 11, 2009.

1. buff_the_rooster

buff_the_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    New York
    Can anyone tell me how old Cuckoo Maran chicks have to be before deciding the sex?
    I was always told that large headspots a boy, small headspots a girl? Someone tell me I am wrong, I am all rooed out!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

As soon as they start to feather you should be able to tell....at least on mine it's easy to tell then. Girls darker, boys lighter feathers.

3. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:I agree

4. babyriver

babyriver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    N E Florida
    I agree too. My girls where alot darker than the boy & they where only 2 days old .

5. buff_the_rooster

buff_the_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    New York
    My chicks are hatching now, so I should be able to tell in a couple of weeks? [​IMG]
    I have one little guy who is a lot lighter then the other two so I am certian that is going to be a roo. [​IMG]
    OK I am hope more hatch [​IMG] I already have 2 roos that are 4 months old. [​IMG]
    OK back to the bator to cheer them on.[​IMG]
    I will have to post pics when they are little older. [​IMG]

6. tina holmberg

tina holmberg Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    When they hatch, the boys have one white headspot, and the girls have two white headspots.
    When they start to feather, the boy will be lighter than the girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by