French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    i've already marked which ones came from which pens :gig

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

How many do you think are laying now?

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

In general, yes... sometimes they grow out to full size, but a lot of times they are a bit smaller than their parents... it's actually the reason behind why breeders say not to set pullet eggs...

Jerry actually talked about it on a different thread a little while back... they might grow just as big, but might not... as long as you are prepared to deal with it, it's up to you on trying...

:plbb

I actually don't remember if I've ever really watched it all the way through... :gig

4. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

So how long should they be laying before setting them?

5. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Overrun With Chickens

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Storm hit here, earlier then expected, we have Thunder sleet right now. Everyone was still here at the farm house and so is now driving home in it...:/ Stubborn people could not talk them into staying. Praying they all stay safe out there.

6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

It actually depends on what the size is normally for the breed/line you are working with, and how quick the pullets eggs gain size...

Some take a month, some less... if they start super small, definitely wait til they get close to normal sized... Lady Grey took almost a month to get hers to hatchkng size, my Am's started laying theirs 3/4 normal sized...

2 weeks to a month is a general good rule of thumb... but if you're just doing mixes, or fun projects, or have a catastrophe then go ahead and try... just keep in mind they *usually* have lower hatch rate, less thrifty chicks, and *could be* smaller at full size...

Btw, mixes *usually* don't have these issues compared to pures...

7. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

:hugs and :fl that they all make it home safely

Interesting. I still don't know for sure how many lavenders I have laying, but all the eggs have been about the same size. The ones I shipped that hatched were very early eggs. The ones I hatched were over a month or so. Will try to keep up on those chicks. (I haven't kept any myself)

8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

:fl

9. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

And there's a kicker for you... pullet eggs usually ship better than full sized...

You work with what you can get, and what hatches... but when you are dealing with your own flock and trying to breed to SOP or at least quality stock, then you should get more ah, choosy, lol...

10. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Hope your day was okay Rav

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by