French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Those are good resolutions!

Haven't made any myself, trying to go back to the "take life as it comes" attitude I had long ago.

2. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    are you my brother?

3. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I really don't want chickens to be a drain on the finances either. Have been thinking about changing to a cheaper feed, but I really like supporting organic, non gmo farmers when I can.

Are you factoring in what the cost of your eggs would be if you had to buy them at the store?

4. frmboyinthecity

frmboyinthecity Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah
    If not, would you like to be? I've always wanted to go ice fishing out your way. Seeing some of the youtube videos of ice fishing out there makes me so jealous. There is one where a dude is pulling 16" perch out right and left. Our state record perch is right around that size.

5. frmboyinthecity

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah
    Not currently, as because of this stupid hard molt they've been going through, coupled with my two daughters rather high rate of egg consumption, I've been having to buy eggs as well. But once my 30 younger pullets get into gear, we should be able to start selling some again. We got 7 eggs yesterday, and that is a lot better.

6. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Not sure I could sell eggs, the market here is kind of saturated. Would like to sell chicks now and then though. Just enough to reduce expenses.

I got 3 eggs today! Only had to buy 1dozen so far this winter.

7. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    I've caught big perch like that...I plan to start hitting the lakes hard this week....hopefully they will be pics.

8. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    There better be pictures Phil, we all know how fishermen are... :gig

9. frmboyinthecity

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah
    I've been ok selling to friends and neighbors, and a few coworkers, but I live on a busier road, so I am planning on just putting a sign up in my front yard when I have extra eggs. That's what a former neighbor did, and they said they sold out really fast when they had them.

I've sold one chick, and it sold in a couple hours after posting it, and it was a backyard mix. I think I could sell chicks fairly readily, if they are good producing breeds. I'm going to see if I can sell some meat cross chicks this spring. Cross between dual purpose hens and a dark cornish rooster.

10. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Who me? ....:confused:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by