French frogs

I don't feed scratch to my babies. That's not to say they don't get any, because they are raised on the floor where the turkeys were, and we give the turkeys scratch. But the grains are spread far and wide and they have to scratch around to find them, so they can't bolt them and fill the crop.

I don't feed scratch to my babies.  That's not to say they don't get any, because they are raised on the floor where the turkeys were, and we give the turkeys scratch.  But the grains are spread far and wide and they have to scratch around to find them, so they can't bolt them and fill the crop.

Who'd think feeding chickens is such a fine art? Lol. It's my older girls, Hawk& 2 of my Cochins are prone to sour crop. Then this guy tells me he's never had a single case in decades! But mine don't get to free range. I did give her some more fungal creme we'll see.

Like half a cup for 14 birds... Wouldn't think that would do any harm but every time I do it nursed Hawk up..,I think she has more going on...I think she has a blockage and can't absorb nutrients us she's had loose stools for months. I think it's just finally catching up to her. It's a shame, she's a complete sweetheart.

20 years and I only had one bird with sour crop. That bird picked every bit of wheat and cracked corn it could hold then drank herself to the top. It fermented. It smelled so bad that I just hung her by the legs and let it dribble out. She walked funny for a few days, but she was cured of bolting her food.

That was a Barred Rock back in the days before neighbors, when my birds free ranged.

20 years and I only had one bird with sour crop.  That bird picked every bit of wheat and cracked corn it could hold then drank herself to the top.  It fermented.  It smelled so bad that I just hung her by the legs and let it dribble out.  She walked funny for a few days, but she was cured of bolting her food.

That was a Barred Rock back in the days before neighbors, when my birds free ranged.

Well, I'm sure doing something wrong. I can't imagine feeding mine table scraps I'm sure they'd get sour crops from that too! Lol. It's really frustrating though. I wish I had some fertile eggs to stick under my multiple broodies! And my little Sebright is still carrying on! With her wings out like she's trying to scare us all away...from the coop! I finally shut them all out for about 6 hours today

Knock on wood - I've never had a case of sour crop and my chickens eat all sorts of veggie, produce and meat scraps. Sometimes leftover rice. They eat weeds I toss into the run. They love BOSS for scratch.

Of course I haven't had that many birds so I'm sure I'll get a case of sour crop in my flock eventually.

Knock on wood - I've never had a case of sour crop and my chickens eat all sorts of veggie, produce and meat scraps.  Sometimes leftover rice.  They eat weeds I toss into the run. They love BOSS for scratch.

Of course I haven't had that many birds so I'm sure I'll get a case of sour crop in my flock eventually.

Hey Friday! How r you doin girl? That's great to hear...no sour crops....How can I feed chickens wrong! Lol.

Knock on wood - I've never had a case of sour crop and my chickens eat all sorts of veggie, produce and meat scraps. Sometimes leftover rice. They eat weeds I toss into the run. They love BOSS for scratch.

Mine get table scraps, butchering scraps (beef and venison) and fruit and veggie scraps. They're confined so I give them as much variety as I can. I've never seen them refuse anything they could bite off.

Knock on wood - I've never had a case of sour crop and my chickens eat all sorts of veggie, produce and meat scraps.  Sometimes leftover rice.  They eat weeds I toss into the run. They love BOSS for scratch.

Same here... but mine always have access to grass/weeds, too...

Hey Friday! How r you doin girl? That's great to hear...no sour crops....How can I feed chickens wrong! Lol.

Could just be those have issues... were they from same hatch??

Mine get table scraps, butchering scraps (beef and venison) and fruit and veggie scraps.  They're confined so I give them as much variety as I can.  I've never seen them refuse anything they could bite off.

My OH tossed some chicken nuggets out today... they were generic and had no taste... chickens ate them like candy... turkeys tasted them and left them, lol...

My OH tossed some chicken nuggets out today... they were generic and had no taste... chickens ate them like candy... turkeys tasted them and left them, lol...

Turkeys have discriminating tastes.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom