French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Wouldn't think the bees would have enough room in the Y to get comfy. Hope the bee man can remove them and give them a new home!

2. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    and depending on how brave you are and the temps outside, you could plug up both holes on the feeder and relocate everything.

they will move on eventually.

3. Time for a mini-rant...

[​IMG]

If you have canned goods or boxed foods that have expired and you don't want to use it, throw it out, don't donate it! Yes, the use-by date is more of a quality guide than a safety guide on a lot of things, but you can only go so far past that date and have the food be any good, even with cans.

Our ministry has a small food pantry, and we distribute mostly emergency food to homeless people with no or very minimal cooking facilities. Lots of canned goods can be eaten cold or dumped in a pan over a fire/camp stove, but we don't have a lot of call for things that must have an oven--and pretty much no call for cake and cookie mixes (we do sometimes have people with ovens call for a food bag, but we give them stuff for meals, not desserts). We cannot give out expired food, nor anything that has been opened/repackaged (individually wrapped things are different, but a huge bag of beans or pasta split between ziplocks? No can distribute...) so that stuff either gets tossed, or reserved for personal use (between my husband's stipend for being ministry director, and my job, we make about $28-$30K a year--and I'm only paid for the 10 months a year I work...). Even my 12-year-old knows to check the expiration date on bake mixes, after a batch of Jiffy corn muffins came out tasting of nothing but baking soda[​IMG] We need to go through everything here pretty soon, and pay to take a bunch of stuff to the dump--I think we've got 3 dozen cans of 3-years-past-date sweet potatoes, and the same with cranberry sauce, and who knows what else. For how much that'll cost to dump (the facility charges by weight) we could probably make up a Christmas dinner basket for a family, with a good-sized frozen turkey[​IMG]

This rant brought to you by my remembering that I'd seen a newly-donated jar of marshmallow creme out there, and it turning out to have a best-by date of 12 March 2013...

4. Tumbling K

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Amy,

can you feed any to your livestock?

pigs seem especially forgiving on out of date items.

or heck, even sell or trade to a pig farmer for some pork!!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. mixedUPturk

mixedUPturk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    Zachary, LA
    :lau

I went to another swap today, didnt make any purchase i was only meeting a friend, But the lady who sold me the quail eggs was there. It was really funny, she recognized me and askd how she knew me... I told her i bought eggs and how i was really upset that 45 of the eggs Died. all covered in poop and/or cracked, poor nutritsion led to brittle shells. im down to only Half and thats the worst incbuation ive ever had in my incbuator. She tried to tell me she didnt understand Why. So i proceeded to tell her how the poop had infiltrated the bloom and poisioned the eggs... Never rude, or "make a scene" kind of thing, but she didnt have two words of argument. She knew. She just sat down in her chair and looked at me. Woulda gave me my $ back if i told her to do so, but i never had that intention. I shoulda been more aware, and this is the price.

6. Tumbling K

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    but hopefully you'll have 40 plus baby quail chicks?

7. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Wow Turk. Good of you to keep your cool. I might have sprinkled the conversation with some choice 4 letter words and demanded my money back.

8. mixedUPturk

mixedUPturk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    Zachary, LA

Last week that was my Full intention, directly after setting them... I was furious. But a week took me down a few notchs, i realized where I was wrong, and im glad i handled it this way.

Yea :D the Size on my Thumb... Christmas Eve :D i candled them to be clear i saw Life in all these 45, so only loosing whomever is poisioned in the next ten days :/

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Yea once I got started with that woman, it would have been difficult to leave it at that! You are a fine woman, Turk.

10. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    X 2!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by