French frogs

Really? When I first looked into it I was told, on BYC, that I needed to keep them seperate, something about worms or blackhead? So I figured that would be too much trouble, I only have one brooder and my chickens have been everywhere in my yard. But if I can keep them together, then it would be very doable, maybe I will look into it.

Blackhead exists.  But my fowl have cohabitated for 18 years.  Especially if they have room to roam, it should not be an issue.  Mine are all confined in close quarters.

So I could house them in the tractor with the meat chickens, and let them range with them. We are currently debating letting them freerange the back field or fashioning a large run. That would be fantastic. Thank you!

Mine too.  From incubator to brooder to grow out and as full adults.  The only time I separate is for finishing diets.  The layers don't need that fattening "candy".

lol... too true...

Really? When I first looked into it I was told, on BYC, that I needed to keep them seperate, something about worms or blackhead? So I figured that would be too much trouble, I only have one brooder and my chickens have been everywhere in my yard. But if I can keep them together, then it would be very doable, maybe I will look into it.

From my understanding (Walnut is more knowledgeable, lol) if your chickens carry blackhead it can be very devastating to turkeys... but if it isn't there and you practice biosecurity to keep it out, then there is no need to worry... I heard many of the same things when I first joined BYC, but since then I have heard about many, many more that raise various species together without issue... especially a couple turkeys with their chickens...

I hadn't hatched or raised turkeys myself until Walnut sent me eggs... I gotta say, I do not regret it and it has been awesome having a knowledgeable mentor helping me... :)

Blackhead exists.  But my fowl have cohabitated for 18 years.  Especially if they have room to roam, it should not be an issue.  Mine are all confined in close quarters.

Free ranging them helps a lot... although, I do have mine separated for right now, but with a mixed pen of chickens... their size and curiosity was becoming a danger to the littles right now... they'll be out again soon, just had to give the babies and mommas a break from the giant inquisitors, lol...

wee.gif
frow.gif
welcome back!

Back
Top Bottom