French frogs

@RavynFallen - these are my two silver leghorns. The first one is the smaller one. Do you think pullet or roo? They are about 4 weeks old now.

This one is significantly larger, and I'm fairly sure based on the hackle feathers it is roo.

Can bantams handle regular size oyster shell?

I give it to mine. They seem to break it up just fine.

I also just put some 8-week old youngens in with my older silkies and cochins. And the older ones have been on layer feed. I usually switch to layer around 16-17 weeks. How bad it is to let the younger ones eat the layer feed?

I give it to mine.  They seem to break it up just fine. 

I also just put some 8-week old youngens in with my older silkies and cochins.  And the older ones have been on layer feed.  I usually switch to layer around 16-17 weeks.  How bad it is to let the younger ones eat the layer feed?

You could get a bunch of different answers.

Although it's not recommended I have some 4 months old eating layer and it has not hurt them that I can tell.

The layer feed has several times more calcium than starter/grower and the concern is buildup of calcium in the kidneys etc. Whereas these little ones aren't using the calcium and passing it on in the eggs(not laying yet) , makes the kidneys work harder I suppose

Last edited:
You could get a bunch of different answers.

Although it's not recommended I have some 4 months old eating layer and it has not hurt them that I can tell.

The layer feed has several times more calcium than starter/grower and the concern is buildup of calcium in the kidneys etc. Whereas these little ones aren't using the calcium and passing it on in the eggs(not laying yet) , makes the kidneys work harder I suppose

Yea, thanks. That's what I was thinking from when I first started. These are the first that I've grown out in a while.

I did transfer "their" feeder, with starter/grower in it, from the baby pen with them, so maybe they will eat more out of it, and less out of the adult feeder. Or I guess I can switch them all to flock raiser with free-choice oyster shell for the girls.

Back
Top Bottom