1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frendliest chocolate egg layer?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jdc361, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    I've been looking at choclate egg layers and LOVE the color. I was just wondering, what is the friendliest chocolate egg layer? It must be cold hardy. Thanks!

2. bigshawn

bigshawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    I love my Marans and I live in Ohio.

3. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    Are they good with kids?

4. bigshawn

bigshawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Mine are, I have daughters 13 and 9 years old that takes care of our flock most of the time.

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Mine are too. My 9 year granddaughter Katie and 9 year old grandson Evan (cousins, not brother and sister) take care of the chickens for us when we travel and they do a great job! I wouldn't allow them out there without me there if I had even one chicken that I didn't trust. But mine don't lay very dark eggs, either.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I have both Marans and Welsummers and neither breed was particularly friendly (not lap pets like some other breeds), but my Welsummers were somewhat more docile than my Marans. Both breeds are pretty cold hardy, and in my personal opinion, their chocolate eggs are the prettiest in the chicken world. I especially like those Welsummer eggs that have lots of really dark speckles on them.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Correction: I meant to say, "I've had both . . ."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by