Frequent seizures in duckling

ivoryeyes

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2017
I didn't know much about crested ducks before I had gone and got 2 of them.. I have since learned of thier physical and mental issues. One with a fairly large crest has been having seizures off and on for a while but now they are becoming frequent. It seems that it happens most when it is taking a drink or cleaning its feathers, it shakes its head violently and backs up real quick often falling on its side. Sometimes it arches its head back trembling and kinda flops around and cries loudly. Its the saddest scariest thing I've seen. I'll gently scoop it up and set it on my lap trying to calm it down. That seems to work sometimes but is there anything else I can do for it? S/he is almost 6 weeks old now. I apologize for the run on sentences.

This is a photo I took last night after calming it down. It sits there afterwards worn out for a couple seconds then continues doing what it was like nothing happened. I did notice that the wings twitch a little too even when its acting normal or sleeping

I don't know much about the crested ducks other than what I've learned from others here, but I think they usually recommend that brewers yeast and other supplementation be added to their diet to help them as they grow and to rule out any kind of deficiency. Other than that, I believe they are generally prone to this sort of thing unfortunately.

I do hope everything turns out well. I know how frightening it can be. My Cayuga drake had two different seizures when he was around 4 weeks old. I never did figure out why, but he's a big, healthy boy now.

Back
Top Bottom