fresh cherries with the pits is it safe as a treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chew593, May 25, 2009.

1. Chew593

Chew593 Songster

My husband thinks I'm being paranoid because I'm not sure if it's ok to feed the chickens fresh cherries with the pits still in 'em. We have a bunch that will go to waste if we don't share and he was thinking the chickens would love them. I'm sure they would too, but I want to make sure it's safe and it's not on either the feed or don't feed list. Thanks all!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

My chickens eat fresh cherries every year. They leave the pits, for me to mow up.

Imp- kinda like the squirrels and crows

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  3. Luvin Life

Luvin Life Songster

Apr 21, 2009
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    My hens love cherries. They also leave the pits on the ground.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Last summer I spent a lot of time pitting cherries in the back yard. Silly chooks stole way too many cherries from me.

They're still alive!

5. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Mine will will eat the bits..........

6. Glad to have found this, b/c I was wondering what they'd do with the pits. My chickens just had a treat of some cherries I forgot to refrigerate last night. They loved them!

7. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Songster

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    we also fed the chickens cherries, pits, stems and all.i dont think they eat the pits. it is a Ton of fun to watch them if you throw the cherries in one at a time. the squirrels then come along and clean up the scraps, lol.

8. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Songster

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    sigh:/

Can me and my kids come eat with your chickens tomorrow? Lesseee...DH has lotsa frequent flyer miles...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: