Fresh chicken poop in my garden?

The general rule of thumb for fresh manure in garden applications is 90 days to allow any pathogens to be consumed by the "good bugs". I use a deep litter system in coop and run. When I clean litter out of the coop, it gets shoved into the run, where the chickens mix it with leaves, grass clippings and garden debris. After 3 years of management, my 500 s.f. run is finally covered with a nice soft 6" layer of deep litter. I can access this any time I want to provide compost for gardens and orchard.

Your burial system is fine. But, I suggest that you not put it in your garden unless it is buried quite a distance from any root zones. If deep litter does not appeal to you, I suggest that you do a drum composter, or build a compost bin and keep a bale of hay or straw handy so you can layer your compost as you build it. Beware, some pastures are managed with herbicides that remain potent even after the hay has been harvested, fed to the cow, passed through the cow's gut, and composted as manure. Unsuspecting gardeners have had their gardens ruined by using compost that is tainted with some of these newer herbicides. As for straw: most grain crops are treated with glyphosphate prior to harvest to cause all of the grains to ripen at the same time. Not something I'd want to bring onto my property. Just know where your material is sourced from, and how it's been handled!!!
Thank you for your reply! I have sand flooring, so just poop. I have a composter, but did not want to put the poop in it because I thought it might attract flies, maybe will try it though since I don't want my trees and plants to get burned. I was wondering about the bad pathogens and did not know you had to wait 90 days, thank you.

The general rule of thumb for fresh manure in garden applications is 90 days to allow any pathogens to be consumed by the "good bugs". I use a deep litter system in coop and run. When I clean litter out of the coop, it gets shoved into the run, where the chickens mix it with leaves, grass clippings and garden debris. After 3 years of management, my 500 s.f. run is finally covered with a nice soft 6" layer of deep litter. I can access this any time I want to provide compost for gardens and orchard.

Your burial system is fine. But, I suggest that you not put it in your garden unless it is buried quite a distance from any root zones. If deep litter does not appeal to you, I suggest that you do a drum composter, or build a compost bin and keep a bale of hay or straw handy so you can layer your compost as you build it. Beware, some pastures are managed with herbicides that remain potent even after the hay has been harvested, fed to the cow, passed through the cow's gut, and the resulting manure turned into compost. Unsuspecting gardeners have had their gardens ruined by using compost that is tainted with some of these newer herbicides. As for straw: most grain crops are treated with glyphosphate prior to harvest to cause all of the grains to ripen at the same time. Not something I'd want to bring onto my property. Just know where your material is sourced from, and how it's been handled!!!
Is your run covered?

Only a small section is covered. Hubby build some trusses which are supported by an old fashioned A fame metal swing set. Over this, I have a green house tarp. So the only part that is covered to keep rain out is about 6 x 12. The remainder of that bay is covered with 2 x 4 welded fencing. The remaining 3 bays are blocked off during the winter, and opened up in the spring, when they are covered with bird netting.

Yes, I covered it with plastic roofing and put in a sand floor.

Attachments

• F2A2B018-B6E7-4C78-9759-432D93A0C6B5.jpeg
    F2A2B018-B6E7-4C78-9759-432D93A0C6B5.jpeg
    483.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 083F10CB-E3CB-4861-AFB1-4E60A41AB929.jpeg
    083F10CB-E3CB-4861-AFB1-4E60A41AB929.jpeg
    1,013.1 KB · Views: 5
Any thoughts about salmonella?

Um. It's not a fun bacteria to have in your gut. Agreed with Alaskan. You're exposed to it on a regular basis. I bet a trip to the grocery store yields big doses of Salmonella, E-Coli, C-Diff, and a bunch of other nasties on the grocery cart handles, produce, and meat packages. Plain old soap and water, avoiding touching your face are a good place to start in avoiding the nasties.

I always worried about feeding fresh veges to my kiddos when the chickens poo in the garden. I usually cook everything to be safe. Didn't know if it was absorbed through the roots or something that could be washed off.

Back
Top Bottom