Fresh Eggs in Fridge or Not??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SarahF, Aug 24, 2008.

1. SarahF

SarahF Chillin' With My Peeps

My new flock have started to lay their eggs today [​IMG] I was cleaning out the nest boxes, getting ready because I knew it was going to start really soon, and an egg popped out of the box with the hay [​IMG] Nice surprise! [​IMG]

Anyways, I'm going to have so many eggs that I'd have to hook up a bar fridge to keep them in. 17 girls this year! [​IMG] How long would eggs last if they are not refridgerated??? [​IMG]

I've heard that they last longer if they are not pre-washed until being used or refridgerated.

Thanks,
    SarahF [​IMG]

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    you can usually leave them out up to 3 weeks them put them into a carton and refrigerate them. If they start building up boil and chop some and give them back to the girls, there a good source of protein and help with their feathers.

ETA: Don't wash them, if they are dirty wipe them off with a damp paper towel.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I also have 18 girls but some do not lay daily, so when they start to accumulate I sell some and give family and friends some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by