Fresh eggs that act "old"

sixchickstwocats

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Hi - we're new to this site, but not totally new to chickens. My husband and I decided to raise some "city chicks" so we got 6 hen chicks about 15 months ago and have been enjoying raising them in our backyard in a small town that says it's Ok as long as they stay in OUR yard.
smile.png
We have three Rhode Island Reds, one Leghorn, a black sex-link and a golden sex-link. I went online to find a forum where I could ask a question about the eggs one of the Reds ("Ellen") has been laying. We know that fresh eggs should have firm yolks that don't spread out when the egg is cracked, and the white is usually also fairly firm, not running all over the skillet. Ellen's fresh eggs act like old eggs - the whites are very thin and watery and sometimes the yolks just run out of the membrane. For awhile she was laying some of her eggs with no shells so we got some oyster shell from the feed store. They are all getting a quality lay mash as well. The egg shells have reappeared on Ellen's eggs, but the runniness makes us wonder whether the eggs are safe to eat. All our other chickens have good quality shells and eggs. We'd appreciate any suggestions - thanks!

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Louisiana!! Sometimes you have one that just never gets it completly right. Since she's not a new layer this might be the case. If you don't find the answer you need you might try posting in the egg laying section and maybe you can get some more help there! Good luck!!

ETA: Here's a link to the section. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=18

Last edited:
Thank you! There is usually a bit more to the story so... Ellen was not one of our original 6 chicks, but was a year older, and given to us by a friend who was leaving the area. Ellen laid eggs well last summer. It was only this spring that the quality diminished. We thought perhaps she did not get a good start in life at her first home, and was good for a season but couldn't keep it up (?). We also worried that she might have a disease, but we didn't know where to start looking for such a problem. Well, I'll take my question to the egg laying section then. Thanks again!

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. It just may take some time for her body to get it right. I agree with Barred Babies about posting it in the other section.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom