Fresh grass clippings

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by klevesque, Jun 12, 2010.

1. klevesque

klevesque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Poland, ME
    My hens are caged in their run. We don't let them free range because we have 25 of them plus we have a lot of chicken hawks around.

I do want them to have access to the grass so I thought maybe I could throw in a bunch of grass clippings after hubby has mown the lawn.

Is this ok?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Yes you can and they'll love you for it!! [​IMG]

Missi

3. klevesque

klevesque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Poland, ME
    That's what I thought but I didn't want to assume and get them sick. Thanks!!

4. Elena712

Elena712 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    On A Farm
    If there is any bug poison on the grass, then no! they'll get sick and even maybe die!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    as long as not weed killer or anything like that has been used then you should be okay no once they get bigger you should be able to free range the girls since I don't think a hawk can carry off a full size hen.

6. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Make sure that there's no gasoline or oil on the clippings if it's a motorized lawnmower...

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Be alert for crop impaction problems, too. When a hen is grazing, she clips off bits of grass with her beak. She can't do this with pieces of grass that have already been cut, so she's left to slurp them up like noodles.

Which reminds me...that's exactly what one of our hens did with a small grass snake she spotted yesterday. First she picked it up and whacked it down several times to kill it. Then ....slurp!

8. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Elmo, what would be some symptoms of crop impaction? & How would you deal with it? Thanks...

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by