Ok to add this grass clipping to chicken run?

I have also read that if you’re using a petrol lawnmower to mow your lawn, don’t give the clippings to your chickens because of the petrol residue.
A great remedy for that is simply take care of you equipment and maintain it properly. So easy to tell, on a walk behind/push mower, if it has issues. If they start leaking they usually leak at the top and if you pay the slightest attention you will see it.

I’ve got all sorts of grasses and weeds and things.

It's the "and things" that has me thinking it's not the clippings causing the issues. As for the weeds, there are many weeds that they love to eat and are actually good for them, on the other hand there are weeds they love to eat but are not good for them. Do some research on the the stuff in your yard. You might find something in the mix that is the problem.

Last edited:
If the main goal is just to cover the ground of the run, you may want to make some grazing/grass bed boxes. Plant a variety of grass. This will help keep the run clean and have a place for the flock to stand on , on those rainy days.

10 Hacks You'll Want to Steal for your Chicken Coop - Rooted Revival'll Want to Steal for your Chicken Coop - Rooted Revival
OOPS! Forgot to add that you can make 14" grazing boxes on the outside of run and coop. This will have triple purpose.

Herbs: Comfrey, Fennel, Thyme, Lavender, Nasturtium, Rosemary, Sage, Wormwood, Oregano, Chickweed, Dandelions, Nettles, Basil

Vegetables & Grains: Amaranth, Plantain, Clover, Alfalfa, Sunflowers, Peas, Beans, Legumes, Lentils, Squash, Rhubarb, Buckwheat, Garlic, Onions, Leeks (Alliums), Asparagus

Fruit, Shrubs, & Small Trees: Most Fruit Trees & Canes, Raspberry Bushes, Blueberry Bushes, Currants, Mulberries, Siberian Pea Shrub

SO.. You are saying that every great once and a while you MIGHT have a problem. So you might go another 8 years with no issues. Sounds like maybe something else had made that issue. Could be.
No. What I said was:
I lost a chicken from an impacted crop from grass clippings. I did it for years & never had a problem, till I did.
Please don't quote me & spin my words.

No. What I said was:

Please don't quote me & spin my words.
I didn't "spin" your words, I derived a possible conclusion from what little input you gave.

My conclusion from your words:
"SO.. You are saying that every great once and a while you MIGHT have a problem."

Guesstimate of what could be from that conclusion:
"So you might go another 8 years with no issues. Sounds like maybe something else had made that issue. Could be."

I would say that you spinned the whole thing to make it as if I had any malicious intent by looking at a situation and analyzing it. Yet all I am doing is digging into the conversation to better understand it.

Don't quote me and spin my words.

For what it's worth, my tractor has a mulching blade, and a vast majority of the cut grass gets pushed back down into the grass to give the soil nutrients from the clippings. I let the girls out to enjoy the freshly cut grass when I finish mowing, and they really seem to enjoy that. The mulched grass is very short, so length is never an issue. I does dry out in about a day, but I do have to mow my yard every two to three days because of how fast it grows, so they get that little "treat" regularly. :)

2" is fine, dump it in - they'll love it! It's only a problem if it's very long strands that can cause an impaction in the crop. But short is fine. Dump it in a pile and they'll spread it around for you. It will keep them entertained doing so, and they'll have a nice green snack. Then it will add to the organic matter of your run litter, which is a bonus. I have a suburban backyard, too, which gets mowed regularly so the clippings are about that length, too, and I dump each mowing into the chicken run. The chickens love it!
We have yarrow as our lawn with very little grass. Does anyone know if yarrow is safe for chickens to eat? I thought I'd put a bucket full of clippings in the run.

We have yarrow as our lawn with very little grass. Does anyone know if yarrow is safe for chickens to eat? I thought I'd put a bucket full of clippings in the run.
"It can guard against bacteria and improve digestive health. Dried yarrow flowers and leaves can be added to your chickens' feed so they reap the benefits. What is this? Probably most importantly for us chicken keepers, yarrow is drying and aids in respiratory health."

Back
Top Bottom