Freshly cleaned coop - this does not makes sense to me....

Do be careful with the PT Alpine if you are around any water. It is listed as an acute and chronic hazard to aquatic life. We have a lot of springs around here, so can't use it - I've resorted to the stinky bag method (Catchmaster). Again beware the water - this time, not to get any on you when throwing them away! The stink is eye-watering.

For fruit flies, put out a saucer of apple cider vinegar. Or a glass of wine if you don't mind sharing.

I just cleaned the coop and the covered run yesterday and put fresh thick layer of hemp bedding down (in both the coop and the attached covered run. I walked out this morning and the place is COVERED with flies. Including the coop (their bedroom/nesting area) which I've never seen a fly in (I clean poop daily). I don't understand. When I say covered, I mean I personally walk through a sea of flies when I walk inside, actually, it even starts on the outside....hundreds of them. I'm perplexed....there was dirty old bedding that had been there for 6-8 months and it was just a normal amount of flies, nothing crazy at all. I put fresh bedding and it's a sea of them...

What worries me - I just put my 5 week old chicks out there (separated from the big girls) - and there are is covered too....I'm so worried these flies will hurt them somehow, disease, etc?

I do have fly traps out there - the hanging kind with the stinky liquid in it. But - why would I have a sea of flies after freshly cleaning the area.....? What do I do? What about the baby chicks?
Put the fly traps far away from the coop. See if that helps. The fish stink liquid may be attracting them to the coop area.

I have been using fly predators from Spalding Labs out of Colorado for years. My rabbit barn which is far from clean has very few flies. It isn't a quick fix, because the little flying bugs attack the eggs of the horse flies, and other flies. My barn used to house horses. My chicken coop is quite a ways away from the barn, but there are not a lot of flies there either.

Back
Top Bottom