Frick (or is it Frack?) is Pranking Her “Sisters”

TBlevins

Songster
Jun 2, 2021
Southwestern Pennsylvania
So, I’m VERY new to this chicken thing. (I keep seeing it’s a habit, lol.) They’re mere weeks old. But a friend of mine who has had chickens for years told me to give them a red worm to see what happens.

I went out digging and found a suitably small one for the babies. I tossed it in and the ruckus that ensued was hilarious! Whoever had the worm would CHEEP and take off running so everyone else would give chase. It reminded us of a little kid’s soccer match with roller derby rules.

The next day, I gave them a couple of (pretty stunned) ants. (They wouldn’t eat fully capable ants. Guess those moved too fast.) But again, CHEEP and then the derby began.

Day 3, I hadn’t gotten to getting a good bug yet. I was just observing them. One of them, either Frick or Frack (they’re pretty indistinguishable under that red light) started digging around in the wood chips. Pulled out a nice looking wood chip, gave out the CHEEP and started to run. Of course, everyone gave chase. She did the CHEEP. She HAD to have something good. She stopped, dropped the wood chip and began digging around like she’d lost the “worm.” Everyone else began searching, hoping to find that delicious “worm” before she did! Eventually, they’d give up and go get into something else. Frick (Frack) would grab another wood chip, CHEEP, and start the game over again.

Even though I’m brand new to this chicken thing, I never knew that one would prank another!!

That is the cutest thing ever! 😍 :love

Our hens being mostly adults, still do that, as long as someone has something in their beak, everyone follows close behind!

They once had a rat/mouse, one ran off with it and the other hens gave chase!
So, I’m VERY new to this chicken thing. (I keep seeing it’s a habit, lol.) They’re mere weeks old. But a friend of mine who has had chickens for years told me to give them a red worm to see what happens.

I went out digging and found a suitably small one for the babies. I tossed it in and the ruckus that ensued was hilarious! Whoever had the worm would CHEEP and take off running so everyone else would give chase. It reminded us of a little kid’s soccer match with roller derby rules.

The next day, I gave them a couple of (pretty stunned) ants. (They wouldn’t eat fully capable ants. Guess those moved too fast.) But again, CHEEP and then the derby began.

Day 3, I hadn’t gotten to getting a good bug yet. I was just observing them. One of them, either Frick or Frack (they’re pretty indistinguishable under that red light) started digging around in the wood chips. Pulled out a nice looking wood chip, gave out the CHEEP and started to run. Of course, everyone gave chase. She did the CHEEP. She HAD to have something good. She stopped, dropped the wood chip and began digging around like she’d lost the “worm.” Everyone else began searching, hoping to find that delicious “worm” before she did! Eventually, they’d give up and go get into something else. Frick (Frack) would grab another wood chip, CHEEP, and start the game over again.

Even though I’m brand new to this chicken thing, I never knew that one would prank another!!

By the way, a BIG welcome to BYC!
We are so happy to have you join us! Please feel free to ask questions, and if you ever need a good laugh, or help, there will always be someone there!

Even though I’m brand new to this chicken thing, I never knew that one would prank
I love when the girls find anything new. They grab it in their beak and run with their head held high while all the others chase! when they were chicks this is especially comical because everything is so new to them. The chirps and crazy running around is so funny. Once these girls were older, outside free ranging, they will find ALL the things in the whole yard that they should not have. be it a piece of paper trash or like today, a round plastic piece of a soda cap. it was shaped like a ring, so the bearer ran around with a plastic ring, head held high, while all the others chased and yelled. It was so funny. 🐥 ❤️

Belatedly welcome to BYC. Aren't they wonderful creatures?!
Yes, the whole chasing thing is hilarious and I love that you have a prankster. So fun.

I love when the girls find anything new. They grab it in their beak and run with their head held high while all the others chase! when they were chicks this is especially comical because everything is so new to them. The chirps and crazy running around is so funny. Once these girls were older, outside free ranging, they will find ALL the things in the whole yard that they should not have. be it a piece of paper trash or like today, a round plastic piece of a soda cap. it was shaped like a ring, so the bearer ran around with a plastic ring, head held high, while all the others chased and yelled. It was so funny. 🐥 ❤️

Attachments

• 79C71444-AD5A-4725-94A2-8C0B2F41281B.jpeg
    79C71444-AD5A-4725-94A2-8C0B2F41281B.jpeg
    693 KB · Views: 1
That is the cutest thing ever! 😍 :love

Our hens being mostly adults, still do that, as long as someone has something in their beak, everyone follows close behind!

They once had a rat/mouse, one ran off with it and the other hens gave chase!
They seriously crack me up! I honestly think for them, the chase is actually more fun than eating whatever the goodie might be! (Like really?! If you’d just shut up and eat it! But it turns into a derby every time! 🤦🏽‍♀️😂)

Back
Top Bottom