Friend abandon duck

May 6, 2022
Today I come to you all to ask for help, but not for my ducks but my friends duckling. A few months ago my friend found a abandon duckling and took it in. Everything was great until he decided to realse it about a week ago at out neighborhood lake. The duckling looks 5 weeks old and is named Flip. Due to the drought here in the southern US the water levels at my neighborhood lake have been very low and duckling can't get out of the water and lots of ducklings have drowned due to it, and scared Flip will drown too. I don't know if I should capture Flip and give him back to my friend or just leave him. Please help!

Today I come to you all to ask for help, but not for my ducks but my friends duckling. A few months ago my friend found a abandon duckling and took it in. Everything was great until he decided to realse it about a week ago at out neighborhood lake. The duckling looks 5 weeks old and is named Flip. Due to the drought here in the southern US the water levels at my neighborhood lake have been very low and duckling can't get out of the water and lots of ducklings have drowned due to it, and scared Flip will drown too. I don't know if I should capture Flip and give him back to my friend or just leave him. Please help!
is this a domestic duckling? If so, catch it. But I wouldn't entrust this baby back to the previous owner again.
If it is a wild duckling, there isn't much you can do. Unless this baby is a muscovy, depending on where you are located you may be able to help him. Can you get a photo of the duckling so that we can identify?
Depending on the size of the lake, I wonder if you could perhaps create a ramp (or two) of some sort for them to get in and out. I have a fairly large local lake, of which the locals put ramps on to help the ducks- who are very grateful!

Since you have ducks why can't you bring Flip home? doesn't sound safe at all for Flip or the other ducklings right now. But being as Flip was hand raised he really needs help.

5 weeks old is way too young for a duckling to be on it's own. They usually don't leave mom until 8 weeks. Is he fully feathered?

If it's a domestic duck breed he needs to be brought back home. If it's a wild duck breed, he needs to be brought to a wildlife rehabilitator who can get him ready to survive in the wild, then released at an appropriate area.

Attachments

• 20220706_172733.jpg
    20220706_172733.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220706_172733.jpg
    20220706_172733.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 9
is this a domestic duckling? If so, catch it. But I wouldn't entrust this baby back to the previous owner again.
If it is a wild duckling, there isn't much you can do. Unless this baby is a muscovy, depending on where you are located you may be able to help him. Can you get a photo of the duckling so that we can identify?
Depending on the size of the lake, I wonder if you could perhaps create a ramp (or two) of some sort for them to get in and out. I have a fairly large local lake, of which the locals put ramps on to help the ducks- who are very grateful!

Attachments

• 20220706_172733.jpg
    20220706_172733.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 8
Since you have ducks why can't you bring Flip home? doesn't sound safe at all for Flip or the other ducklings right now. But being as Flip was hand raised he really needs help.
I brought Flip home and he doesn't look so good. He had minimum contact with my ducks and I will quarantine him to look for any diseases. Do you think my ducks could have a disease now?!

Back
Top Bottom