Friendliest Breed of Turkey??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by nikevijo, Mar 17, 2009.

1. nikevijo

nikevijo HorseAholic

Apr 20, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Which is the friendliest breed of Turkey??

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    they can and will all be friendly. It depends on how much you work with them as poults. In all our years of turkeys we have only ever had one agressive turkey and that was a Royal Palm (not raised by us - we got him from another breeder). All our other Palms are very easy to get along with so that was just that one bird.

Steve in NC

3. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I only have two of my 11 that will allow themselves to be petted and held. Black Spanish gobbler and Royal Palm hen. Both by the way were incubator hatched and hand raise from poults to adult.

4. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Good question- I'd like to hear the answer to that too!!

5. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 Royal Palm hens...all big babies! Yesterday, there was a knock on my door and a neighbour, who had been walking by, asked if I had lost something. One of them was sitting next to her. She said when the turkey saw her, it started following her.

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    we have Slates and Bourbon Reds. i think i lean towards my BR's as more 'friendly'. the Slates are just a little more aloof.

here is Sugar hanging out on our front porch. she follows me just about everywhere.

[​IMG]

and the gang just inviting themselves in....

[​IMG]

7. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Mine are always trying to follow me into the house too. When I don't let them in, they stare at me through the windows!

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:The one on the Thanksgiving platter... LOL [​IMG] (sorry, couldn't resist!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by