Friendliest breeds

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lollie508, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Lollie508

Lollie508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Hello I was wondering what you think the friendliest breeds are and if you've had experience with them. Also what breeds do you not recommend. :):rolleyes:

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    First off, [​IMG].

All chickens have different personalities. I have had luck with my Polish, Production Reds and Cochins. My Production Red Bonnie loves to follow me around, so sweet! Polish can be a little skittish due to lack of vision. But I have heard Australorps are very friendly, so are Buff Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks. But handle them a lot when they are chicks, this really makes them tame.

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I wouldn't recommend a Campine or a Sumatra for the new chicken owner though.

4. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    [​IMG]

My red star hens are very friendly, and quiet to boot which is important since I'm in a suburb.

5. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome! [​IMG]

In my flock the Polish are the friendliest, then the eggers. My marans are nice birds but don't seek my attention. My red sex links are bossy, but sweet.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

I keep Black Australorps. Very good with children, they are very docile and mine have become huge lap babies...begging to sit on my lap. LOL Even after all these years, they fight over who gets to sit closest to mom. LOL

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! I would say the two most popular breeds for pets are Silkies and Cochins, both tend to be really friendly, but they both tend to go broody a lot so are not the best egg layers. For decent egg layers a lot of the heavier brown egg laying breeds are pretty nice, ie Sussex, Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Delawares and Plymouth Rocks. The Red Sex Links (Red Stars, Golden Comets etc) and RIR are usually super layers, I do find them rather bossy at times, but if you are going mainly for egg production you can't really beat them. The light breeds, like Leghorns or Minorca (a lot of the white egg layers) tend to rather flighty or spooky, they can be friendly, but they tend to be a lot more reactive than the heavier birds. I would avoid the real game breeds, but mostly I would try to avoid having roosters in general to start with, they tend to be a lot more problems than the girls. The Henderson chicken breed chart compares some popular breeds. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#j

8. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

In our flock the Plymouth Barred Rocks are the friendleist. Our golden laced Wyandotte is the most aloof!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! In my flock my friendliest hen is my Buff Orpington, Butterscotch. She is always underfoot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by