Friendliest chicken breeds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Donnigan, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    What are the friendliest chicken breeds? And how can you make them friendly?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most any breed can become friendly from gentle daily handling when they are chicks. The heavier breeds tend to be more easy going, and less flighty. I personally like australorps, Orpingtons and cochins.

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I agree. The key is handling at an early age but some are certainly more snugly in the long run. I agree with Orps and Cochins. Amazingly, I have Houdans who are a bit bi-polar but love to sit in my lap and be petted. Of course silkies are easy to handle as well. Favorelles are very mild mannered too.

4. kris13

kris13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2016
    We have a black sex-link, easter egger, two buff orps, two (most likely) production reds, & a speckled sussex. All but the buffs have been with us from day 3 and, yup, gentle daily handling. They are all very friendly, the one buff is maybe the "least" but she still will eat treats out of your hand and likes being petted at times. The most friendly for now is the sex-link, she'll sit on your lap and kind of throws a small fit if she's not petted first. (She's also DH's favorite, he even named her, kids named all the others.)

5. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Javas. Beautiful birds and the friendliest, easy going, most relaxed chickens I've ever had or heard about.

6. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    I personally love my Brahmas, they are so sweet and docile.

7. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville

I agree, Brahmas. The best way to win their hearts is through their stomachs. You can tame just about any young chick with a handful of mealworms!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by