Friendliest chicken breeds?

Most any breed can become friendly from gentle daily handling when they are chicks. The heavier breeds tend to be more easy going, and less flighty. I personally like australorps, Orpingtons and cochins.

I agree. The key is handling at an early age but some are certainly more snugly in the long run. I agree with Orps and Cochins. Amazingly, I have Houdans who are a bit bi-polar but love to sit in my lap and be petted. Of course silkies are easy to handle as well. Favorelles are very mild mannered too.

We have a black sex-link, easter egger, two buff orps, two (most likely) production reds, & a speckled sussex. All but the buffs have been with us from day 3 and, yup, gentle daily handling. They are all very friendly, the one buff is maybe the "least" but she still will eat treats out of your hand and likes being petted at times. The most friendly for now is the sex-link, she'll sit on your lap and kind of throws a small fit if she's not petted first. (She's also DH's favorite, he even named her, kids named all the others.)

Back
Top Bottom