Friendliest Ducks??

ksmith

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Nor Cal
I have two mallards that I bought at little babies, and they were so cute! They have always been very skittish. I have worked with them, held them, sat by them, stood by them, and they absoultely hate me! They will not come near me to even let me touch them. Is it because of the breed, or am i ding something wrong? I thought ducks were supposed to be cute and cuddly, like my hens.

While I wouldn't want this to happen, at the same time I'm always hoping one of my ducklings will need special attention, or I'll have a lone hatch so a duck will truly imprint on me. The first three that I hatched still won't go outside until I'm out there, and they have a fit when I leave. But now that they're growing in their feathers and are out in a larger area, they don't like being handled. Although they'll walk all over my feet and let me walk aroudn them without a problem. Our other ducks are crazy. you can't come within 10 feet of them.

It's always different. Our ducks aren't huge fans of hanging out with us too. I don't know what to tell you about doing something wrong. I guess we are both doing something wrong......

The only way to have ducks be obsessive compulsive about being around you is to hatch them yourself and be the first thing they see and imprint with.

That said, all breeds are different as to how well they interact with people.

My understanding is that Welsh Harlequins are the most laid back breed of duck there is, though I can't tell you my experience with that. Ours are only 4 days old. They seem easy going enough, though not ones to rush up around my hands except those to like to nibble on my wedding ring.

My two Pekins on the other hand have to be messed with and even though I paid much attention to them and they lived in the house for a month beside my desk, they're still standoffish.

Quote:
I have some 4 day old WH ducklings too...are you using the beak colors to determine there gender? Or did you get them already sexed? Thanks!!

I had 3 mallards I bought as ducklings that were 3 days old and they followed me everywhere, and I still have one of them and she comes when I call her name most of the time. Other batches of ducks, mallard and otherwise, were different, but I don't think they ever hate you. They are naturally skittish, some breeds are more likely to eat out of your hand, but in general, they all go through stages too. The batch of ducklings I raised this year did that. They would only go in the pen when herded into it, but now they come when called and will eat out of my hand. I chalked it up to them being so many of them at once. I raised two ducklings later in the spring, and they were pretty tame with me until I put them out with the other ducks, then they got more independent of me, but they came back to me. Give it time, spend more time with the ducks, spoil them, make it so they trust you. They will.

Quote:
My understanding is that color sexing them only works out for 1 to 2 days after birth, though I've got speculations. 4 of them are surely males. Two others start off lighter and then shift to a darker color so they may be males. One of those two the bill is turning olive, the other a grey.

At any rate, best I can do is speculate since I've got no experience with WHs.

Quote:
My understanding is that color sexing them only works out for 1 to 2 days after birth, though I've got speculations. 4 of them are surely males. Two others start off lighter and then shift to a darker color so they may be males. One of those two the bill is turning olive, the other a grey.

At any rate, best I can do is speculate since I've got no experience with WHs.

Yeah one of theirs is turning an olive color too. I'll just wait and find out when there quake start to change
smile.png
. Thanks!!

My ducks imprinted on me and i fully hand raised them til adult stage and they are brilliant with people - they follow me all over the garden and come sit, be picked up...but while they were in a sort of 'teenage' stage they were a little bit skittish. Once they'd grown out of it they calmed back down.
Since they were little ive always walked around the garden with them and lifted up rocks and stuff so they could snatch the bugs underneath, it became sort of a social thing..so maybe try that? It might make them relax with you rather than expecting you to do something everytime they see you

Birdcrazy; wonders of raising them from incubated egg. Going to be doing that myself next year with a clutch of WH eggs. Once my girls start laying, that is.

Back
Top Bottom