Friendly chicken breeds

Quote:
I have 8 of them that are about 2.5 weeks old. They were a bit standoffish. But they are coming around and are very sweet now that I’ve spent a lot time with them. I guess that’s how I would be if a giant hand came down and tried to touch me.

For me, the nicest chicks I have right now are silver laced WYD’s. I have one little girl in particular who is sweeter than boiled down honey. You put your hand in the brooder, she sprints over and just stands there begging to be petted. I think I might have a friend while I’m weeding the garden this summer.

Mine are all VERY friendly. But my top two are my Frizzle Rhode Island Red hen, and my Barred Rock ken, both are are bantams.
D.gif

Quote:
Mine are still young, but my white leghorn and buff orpington are my sweetest by far. The leghorn is the first one to come up to me whenever I go into the pen, and spends all of her time trying to jump onto my shoulder.

If you're really the type of person that likes nice chickens then I have to recomed Silkie's. From what I'm hearing about them they're the best breed to start with, and the easiest.

Another vote for Buff Orpingtons. I have four girls and don't even have to make it outside for them to get excited. They all run to the run gate if they even see me at the backdoor. We could even play follow the leader around the yard. My girls are also spoiled for chickens though. Besides being nice they also lay eggs really well. They will be a year old Feb 16th and they only slowed down for their winter & molting and now egg production is picking back up. Got 3 today & I do no supplement their light at all.

Dark Brahmas have my vote! I have two and out of the other 4 chickens I have (Black Australorps and Production Reds) the two Dark Brahmas are far the nicest. They will fall asleep on your lap and you finally have to wake them up because you cannot get anything done with a sleeping chicken on your lap!
lol.png

Brahmas are almost always nice, but you can't beat the stability of Gamefowl. Whatever the breed of gamefowl, most if not all have or at least should have parents who's ancestors have been bred for hundreds of years to NOT be aggressive and to be easily handled.
smile.png

omg my silkie, Sugar is extremely sweet, and loves to cuddle! Also I have a little black cochin with red on her neck (home bred) and when I sit next t her she'll hop onto my lap and lay down to be petted.
love.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom