Friendly chicken turning on me!

polzangel99

Hatching
May 24, 2018
Hi, we recently got a flock of chicks that are now almost 2 months old. Now, just a few days ago we got a hen from our cousin who is a couple weeks younger than the rest but is the same size. She's the sweetest chicken I've ever seen, following us around like a puppy and loving being held. The flock, while not caring to actively attack her, is definitely shunning her, chasing her off when she gets close. We decided to fence off a section of the coop with chicken wire with a little bowl of food and water in order to "introduce" her, as was suggested to us.
Last night was her first night in there, and as soon as I let her out this morning, she started pecking my feet pretty frantically. She has been known to peck at feet a little bit already, so I just went to get tennis shoes and came back out. When I returned, she pecked my legs, HARD! She broke skin twice. I was thinking she was possibly trying to find her place in the pecking order, or possibly just mad that I left her locked up. Any thoughts? I want my nice friendly chicken back!
Also, the flock is still shunning her, so I'll probably be sectioning her off tonight as well.

If the flock isn't pecking and chasing her, I would leave her roam with the others. They will establish their pecking order in good time. As for the pecking, if she was used to following you and being held and getting attention, she may be upset with you. She is obviously not happy about something. Try leaving her with the rest of the flock, instead of separating her and see if she has an attitude change

Last edited:
I know they peck a lot ..
For me I think it's their only way to communicate with us
Just to avoid injuries I may file my chickens beaks so I don't get hurt

When you say frantically,I’m thinking in a scared or serious way.Soudn spike your toes may have confused her.One if my hens is practically trained to peck my legs and find things on pants.Soem get ina bad habit.Chickens will use vocals and things such as what she is doing to communicate to us.

I'm thinking she went from "awww what a nice new food person" to where in the heck did you leave me last night,and who exactly are those other snobs?" She sounds upset with you, that is why I asked about her situation at your cousin's. I had a once lone dominique treat me the same once she found out she was part of a flock. She did get better towards me, she became a force to be reconed with to the other girls though.:)

Back
Top Bottom