Friendly ducklings!!

katie_

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
I have 4 pekin ducklings about a week old, we got them at about 3-5 days old were not exactly sure. When make noise when I walk up to their brooder and talk to them, but I don’t know if theyre happy to see me or scared of me. I can’t put my hand close to them in their brooder or try to pick them up with out them running away. I need some tips on making sure they’re super friendly

I have found treats work well, my duckling like spinach I cut it up small then lower my hand in slowly. They still run to the side but come over once they see the food. Once they have eaten I pick them both up they hate being apart they will then settle on my lap for a a little while. I am doing this daily to see if it works as the 2 other ducks I have in the garden are just scared all the time. Hope this helps

Mine react best to frozen peas (maybe warm them up to not freezing and smush them a bit for the littles). Like they go nuts. Think I found that idea here—and they will do anything for me once they see peas!

Mine react best to frozen peas (maybe warm them up to not freezing and smush them a bit for the littles). Like they go nuts. Think I found that idea here—and they will do anything for me once they see peas!
i used super small celery and they went bonkers! then fell asleep on my hand!

I have 4 pekin ducklings about a week old, we got them at about 3-5 days old were not exactly sure. When make noise when I walk up to their brooder and talk to them, but I don’t know if theyre happy to see me or scared of me. I can’t put my hand close to them in their brooder or try to pick them up with out them running away. I need some tips on making sure they’re super friendly
My two 5-week old Pekin ducks do the same - run from me when I reach into the brooder. I take them into the garden everyday, and I’ve noticed they will follow me around until they’ve gotten their treat of the day, which lately has been cut up grapes or thawed peas. They’ll go so far as to walk back into the house while I’m chopping the grapes. Once they get their prize they keep to themselves, which is I think is normal being in their teenage phase. As for making them friendly, I’m not 100% on that. I consider my Pekins pretty friendly, considering they waddled up to a pair of strange people having a proper picnic and had a sit down right on these strange women’s blankie! Without any encouragement to do so! What did I do to bring up such quackers ducks? I took them out on errands, often to get coffee with me ( for me, no coffee for duckies). I took them to my place of work (a plant nursery). They met lots of people, many of whom wanted a picture of them. At home in the brooder, some nights I held them in my lap feeding them cut up fruit with a small cup of water. Some nights I read them a children’s picture book (“The Duckling Gets w Cookie!? By Mo Willems is a fav). I think lots of treats and lots of FaceTime with duckies with get them to realize and know you’re just another unit albeit bigger piece of the flock. Talk to them, get them used to and comfortable with your voice. I’ve read that voice imprinting is a very powerful force. Let them know when you’re approaching the brooder so there’s no surprise appearances by the human. I hope this helps, or at the least, provide some clarity and guidance!

Attachments

• 69D33616-C298-43A5-A2DB-2842AAD48C11.jpeg
    69D33616-C298-43A5-A2DB-2842AAD48C11.jpeg
    801.9 KB · Views: 15
My two 5-week old Pekin ducks do the same - run from me when I reach into the brooder. I take them into the garden everyday, and I’ve noticed they will follow me around until they’ve gotten their treat of the day, which lately has been cut up grapes or thawed peas. They’ll go so far as to walk back into the house while I’m chopping the grapes. Once they get their prize they keep to themselves, which is I think is normal being in their teenage phase. As for making them friendly, I’m not 100% on that. I consider my Pekins pretty friendly, considering they waddled up to a pair of strange people having a proper picnic and had a sit down right on these strange women’s blankie! Without any encouragement to do so! What did I do to bring up such quackers ducks? I took them out on errands, often to get coffee with me ( for me, no coffee for duckies). I took them to my place of work (a plant nursery). They met lots of people, many of whom wanted a picture of them. At home in the brooder, some nights I held them in my lap feeding them cut up fruit with a small cup of water. Some nights I read them a children’s picture book (“The Duckling Gets w Cookie!? By Mo Willems is a fav). I think lots of treats and lots of FaceTime with duckies with get them to realize and know you’re just another unit albeit bigger piece of the flock. Talk to them, get them used to and comfortable with your voice. I’ve read that voice imprinting is a very powerful force. Let them know when you’re approaching the brooder so there’s no surprise appearances by the human. I hope this helps, or at the least, provide some clarity and guidance!
they are adorable!! this totally helped! I’m glad they run away from everyone HAHA not just me!!

Back
Top Bottom