Friendly Natives

PineappleMama

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
Deep In The Left Atrium Of TX
Been going to a pond near our house... no big catches as yet but have managed some small bluegill and catfish... DD is my fishin' buddy which I think is pretty dern neato.

Anywho this pond has TONS of ducks, I mean TONS. And clearly a few of them are pure pekins, a few possibly halfsies, lotsa mallards. No muscovies at this pond that I've seen. But the kicker for me is the two geese... a matched pair and while loud they're very nice. Scared the crap out of a coupla teeny boppers today. They brought bread (grr we brought frozen peas) to feed them and the geese came up and they panicked... pretty amusing to watch really. Anywho, trying to figure out what kind of geese they are... they have the black knobby nose, orange feet, grey and white feathering... thinking African or Chinese but I honestly donno the difference so any tell tell signs to tell between the two?

Figured I'd ask. Oh and any tips on catching bream/bluegill/sunfish, bass (haven't even tried), or channel cats is much obliged.
lol.png

A not very good pic of the geeses in question is over on my facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/profile.ph...02542197.57781.100000025354486&type=1&theater

And a pekin too... poor thing has feathers missing at the back of her neck and I thought maybe that male there was getting too frisky but then later the white and tan duck that runs with these two chased the pekin all over hell and gone pecking like mad so I'm thinking it's maybe a catfight instead... oy females.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.ph...02542197.57781.100000025354486&type=1&theater

Last edited:
We've used whole kernel corn and small pieces of shrimp to catch bluegill/sunfish at our local duck park. They seem to go for just about anything. The trick seems to be not to catch the turtles. They bite, and are hard to unhook. If the fish aren't eating size, and you're just fishing for fun, bend the barb on the hook down or cut it off. It makes things easier for catch and release.

Chicken livers are my son's favorite catfish bait. I've also read of using dough balls (ball up a portion of a lice of bread.) I've caught most of mine on worms from the bait store, red wigglers or night crawlers. Catfish are easier to catch at night.

Definitely NOT Canadian gooses... they don't have the knob on the nose or the bright orange feet that these do...

I'm pretty sure they've got to be African or Chinese but I don't know which... maybe if I had a pair of African and a pair of Chinese side by side I could tell the difference but just seeing one... and never having kept geese... no idea. Is temper a tell? These two are uber nice. Waited patiently for those girls to hand them a portion... eyeballed when the ducks got one but no honking, chasing, biting... course the girls were still afraid of them... which was really ironic because it was a small, adolescent I think, duck that ended up chasing them later on... the geese just watched and, I think, rolled their eyes.

Thanks for all the tips guys! So far the only luck with cats at that pond have been just at/after dusk... then nada. Which is kinda weird. Bet if we could stay past 10:30 we'd get some more bites... *pout* oh well, word in this morning that campout with Mom, Sis and Hers, Bro and His GF is ON for 4th of July weekend... whoop whoop!
big_smile.png
Got a little pink last trip so taking a coupla day break from the fishin' hole... maybe by then they'll be hungry!!

I'd say Africans,they are to heavy for Chinese. The chinese have a much longer abd slimmer neck. Beautiful "pond" ! Lucky you!

I amazed you don't have a muddy edge around the pond. Everything here is dry, dry dry!!!! I'm having an tree guy come this week to check out a tree that split in this springs wind, and one of the other questions will be if my live oaks need supplemental water. I've lived here since '94, and I've never seen it this bad, this soon.

When I fished the river, the bluegill tore UP the bonnet worms. They're in the water lily plants with a hole in the top of the leaf. They actually bore down into the stem of the plant.

Catfish strike at dead anything ON THE BOTTOM. We always cast out, then let the slack out so that we know we are on the bottom. Relax, but be ready to reel 'em in!

Back
Top Bottom