Friendly Quail?

We don't have true button quail here in the states, so thats a lot of why king quail are called by that name here. Our poultry/fowl importation laws keep up relatively restricted as to what species we can have. We are not even allowed to import the silver coturnix from Canada or the UK.

The quail we can get here are

Valleys
Gambles
Mearns
Bobwhites of every mutation
Coturnix japonica in rosetta, range, roux, italian, manchurian, autumn amber, pharaoh, A&M, english white, tibetan, tuxedos of most varieties, and a few more
Coturnix chinesis (king quail/button quail)
Mountain quail

Having raised coturnix for as long as I have, I have often wondered about the many Australian breeds of coturnix and how they are to raise. Have you ever raised the brown or stubble quail Urucubaca? If so how do they compare to coturnix?
We also have African Harlequin Quail (Coturnix delegorguei) although they arent very common

A lot of the reason we cannot get old world species in the US is because of the risk of escapees. The US Fish and Game does not want to have to deal with an import quail pushing out the native populations, they have enough problems with this already.

A lot of the reason we cannot get old world species in the US is because of the risk of escapees. The US Fish and Game does not want to have to deal with an import quail pushing out the native populations, they have enough problems with this already.
Really??? I have 8 cages full of "old world quail". I really wonder how that happened?
James

Edited to add: This link may be of interest.

Last edited:
I have a question. At the feed store I wanted 2 things of feed, one for my ducks one for my quail. I wound up with 3 bags (they load your car). I got a poultry feed (for the ducks) and a wild bird feed and a "specialty feed" I'm assuming the specialty is also for quail but it doesn't say anywhere on it all it says is specialty feed.

Back
Top Bottom