Friesian Fowl Q&A Discussion Thread

Hi Cree, will you be selling any Frisian hatching eggs anytime soon?
I live in Salt Lake City, UT. I have one lonely gorgeous Frisian rooster.
I am the one that bought three from GFF last Spring and ended up with three roosters!
Do you find you roosters to be non aggressive? So far, ours is not aggressive at all.
I am still re-arranging my roosters to get good fertility. The lemon frisian is not doing a good enough job to sell eggs yet. He is very gentle though. I have 4 gold cockerels. 3 are fine, 1...not so much. He hates my husband. He is ok with me though. At least 1 of the gold ones will be going in with the lemon cockerel. We will probably move them this weekend. I just want to be out there when they wake up together to make sure nobody gets hurt. That should improve things. The girls are laying like crazy. I had no idea they would lay so many eggs! The pullets are quite gentle.
I just hatched a chick today and they are precious! I will post pictures here when I have chicks!

My Frisian may be gold. Since he is the only one I have seen, I have nothing to compare.
Can you breed lemon to gold?
What about the silver? Do you breed only silver to silver? I think they are gorgeous, too.
Glad to hear they are good layers.

The other breed I got from GFF was the Marsh Daisy. I have one Roo and one hen. She just starting
laying and is looks like she will be a great layer, too. Started off with full size eggs instead of the pullet eggs.
First time I have seen that.

My Frisian may be gold. Since he is the only one I have seen, I have nothing to compare.
Can you breed lemon to gold?
What about the silver? Do you breed only silver to silver? I think they are gorgeous, too.
Glad to hear they are good layers.

The other breed I got from GFF was the Marsh Daisy. I have one Roo and one hen. She just starting
laying and is looks like she will be a great layer, too. Started off with full size eggs instead of the pullet eggs.
First time I have seen that.
My understanding is that Frisian Gulls are an ancient landrace and in Europe they run together gold, lemon and silver. You absolutely could have individual breeding pens to keep the colors separated or you could let them all be together like they would be in their homeland. Currently I have the lemon all together and the gold separated from them. I am considering just putting them all together though. Sure would make my life simpler! They are beyond good layers. I have been surprised at how many they are laying EVERYDAY! Excellent layers!

That is good to hear. I can't wait to get a couple pullets. Just let me know when they might be available.
I have three seeparate coops in my yard. I am in the city, so I have to be very ingenious.
I have two Ayam Cemani in one, my Isbars in one and the Marsh Daisy in one so they don't mix.
Yeah, life could be similar if I wouldn't do this to myself.
My odd balls are the Frisian roo and a single Swedish Flower that I also purchased from GFF.
I don't like to cross breed, but for the heck of it I may hatch a Swedish Flower bred with the Frisian.

That is good to hear. I can't wait to get a couple pullets. Just let me know when they might be available.
I have three seeparate coops in my yard. I am in the city, so I have to be very ingenious.
I have two Ayam Cemani in one, my Isbars in one and the Marsh Daisy in one so they don't mix.
Yeah, life could be similar if I wouldn't do this to myself.
My odd balls are the Frisian roo and a single Swedish Flower that I also purchased from GFF.
I don't like to cross breed, but for the heck of it I may hatch a Swedish Flower bred with the Frisian.
I put an extra rooster and 3 more pullets in the Frisian coop today. Hopefully everybody will be happy with the arrangement in the morning. This fellow has already proved himself as a Romeo!

If I understand correctly, you are saying I can put a lemon in with a gold and the resulting chicks could be either gold or lemon?
Is silver a recessive and could it also occur from breeding a gold or lemon together?
If you breed silver to silver, would that be what you would get?

If I understand correctly, you are saying I can put a lemon in with a gold and the resulting chicks could be either gold or lemon?
Is silver a recessive and could it also occur from breeding a gold or lemon together?
If you breed silver to silver, would that be what you would get?
This is my understanding. Recessive to recessive should mainly get recessive. I know in BBS breeding splash to splash is always splash. I am not a genetics expert though and information on this breed is very sparse. I will ask my German contact what they do.

That is correct - recessive to recessive produces that recessive trait.
That is why I wondered if the silver was recessive.
If a two golds or lemons can produce a silver, then undoubtedly, silver is the recessive gene.
I am curious to know. It is so interesting

That is correct - recessive to recessive produces that recessive trait.
That is why I wondered if the silver was recessive.
If a two golds or lemons can produce a silver, then undoubtedly, silver is the recessive gene.
I am curious to know. It is so interesting
I asked my breeder contact in Germany about your great question! Here is the conversation-

I have a question-In Germany does this breed free range with all 3 colors running together? If they do, does gold, lemon and silver all naturally occur within the flock? Almost like a blue, black, splash genetic pattern? Thank you for your help!
9:16AM

No you cant breed them like Blue ones. They got gold and silver, silver is rezessiv dominat over gold. So the Results of it are silver chicks with a light gold Touch. So keep if possible every Flock seperated.
11:46AM
Very good information! It was rumored that they are a landrace where all colors run together. All I have are gold and Lemon, which is a light yellow. Those should not go together either from what you are saying if I am correct? Thank you. I needed to ask someone who knows!

I wouldnt do that,Just seperate the colours.

Thank you for asking that question for me!
So if I (someday get silver) they will be bred separate. Makes sense.
Now, the gold and lemon - did you understand by this information, that we could breed those together?
Or, shall we keep them separate, too?
I am thinking that if you we interbreed the two, you could lose the pure lemon color and viceversa.
Do you have gold? Or just the lemon?

Back
Top Bottom