Friesian Fowl Q&A Discussion Thread

Pics

Nickeyo

Songster
7 Years
Aug 11, 2012
England, West Midlands, Worcestershire
This is for anyone interested in the breed, or currently owning the breed to shared knowledge and just ask questions. The Friesian Fowl is a wonderful bird to have and unlike many lighter, flighty breeds the Friesian Fowl can become very tame. They come in different colors, with the chamois penciled being most common. there are also silver and gold penciled among others with the latter being least common. Please feel free to share pictures talk and just enjoy this wonderful fowl.

Hi there, I'm posting on this thread rather than the sexing one as this is a rare breed and hope you can help being FF enthusiasts! This is mine (on the right) at 2.5 weeks old. They're a bit older now so could post a more recent one.

Just wondering how and at what age you can sex these chicks?

Many thanks.

Hi, not many people on here with this breed :) you can normally tell at roughly 5weeks old, the males combs will be getting bigger and pinker. tou could try a test at 3 weeks where you get them all in an area, get them settled then drop and hat by them from high up, in theory the males will look up and the hens will run, personally Im not yet decided on it. currently I have 6 FF chicks at 3 days old. What colors do you have

Hi, not many people on here with this breed :) you can normally tell at roughly 5weeks old, the males combs will be getting bigger and pinker. tou could try a test at 3 weeks where you get them all in an area, get them settled then drop and hat by them from high up, in theory the males will look up and the hens will run, personally Im not yet decided on it.  currently I have 6 FF chicks at 3 days old. What colors do you have

Well I actually only have these two chicks as they're the only ones who made out of 6. Not sure of the colouring yet, it wasn't mentioned when I bought the eggs. Maybe you could tell from that pic? Love to see a pic of your new chicks :)

Hi there!

Recently, I've stumbled into the knowledge that this beautiful variety of chicken even exists,
and I'm currently in the process of researching them,
droolin.gif

I have to say, they're #2. on my list of all time favorite breeds. <333

I love the beautiful Chamois Penciled variety most. I once had some chickens with almost the same colors and patterns (save for a little inconsistent blue overlay), even though they were completely a mixed breed chicken, so I was floored to find a variety that so closely resembled the strain of random cross breeds of my youth.

I'm hoping to take the eternal plunge into entrepreneurship and rare breeds some day,
so I need all the material I can get my hands on: I came across this thread in my mad quest for knowledge.
wee.gif
Info regarding the breed is so scarce though; I'm still trying to get all my facts straight. XP

Back
Top Bottom