Friesian/Paint Colt-Added more pics, pg 3

In the colt's first two photos he looks incredibly croup high, but in the video not so much, could be the ground he's standing on. He could (and probably is) growing and looks a little silly LOL! The videos are good. Hard to single him out and really see him, but from those little blips he looks like he'd make a nice little horse.
smile.png
Thanks for posting the videos!

I agree with ewe sheep, and think his shoulder and pastern angles are too strait - a little hard to tell about the rear end at this age, he is tall in the hip right now but will probably grow out of that.

He is a little more upright and straight then Id like to use if I really wanted to pursue higher end dressage. He moves much more like a harness horse. That said he is also going threw quite the awkward growth spurt right now. He may look a good bit different once he grows up some.

I am so *NOT* an expert/knowledgable in horses, but I have to say that my eyes also went to the mainly black colt next to him. Something about the smooth gait and proportions look good to me. But as for your guy, how awesome to be able to check out the temperament and health of the parents!
thumbsup.gif

Yeah, I know he's not going to flow like a Hanoverian. I wouldn't expect a Friesian cross to, though I know that they are breeding now for a more athletic, ridable breed. However, I think that once that front lifts up, he'll be a lot less stiff in his gaits & move out more. At 11 months, I would rather he was a little upright than the other way. I've had nothing but leg trouble from the slopey horses. He will be in harness & also as a hack. There's nothing high level here so I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with 3 foot jumps & Elementary dressage.
I've thought about the other colt & he will be such a flasher
ep.gif

But I'm loathed to give up my 17hh+ sport horse for a 15.1hh Friesian with white feathers to keep clean. He's a proper little Friesian though, sweet natured with long legs, a long barrel & that movement. I'm not totally knocking him out the picture. He would certainly draw the eye as a stallion.

I made about 35 stills from the videos I took (I took like 10 videos
tongue.png
but didn't post them). Between my cowgirl "HA's," shaky camera work unimproved by the bay weanling running head first into me periodically & me calling
the big colt a "naughty little ****" not quite under my breath, I figured that this would serve better
duc.gif

Here's the link to them: http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a...ion=view&current=Snapshot725-02-201223-11.png
I'll post a few appetizers at the bottom though
droolin.gif

I've been wanting someone to discuss my thoughts on these 2 colts with, but I'm years out the horse world now. Then I thought of the horse lovers at BYC so here's what I think:
We will call them 1 & 2. They are both 11 months old & stud colts to be kept entire as a pleasure/harness horse for me. Pleasure horse as in riding in the fields, small local shows etc. They are sired by two 16.3hh imported Friesian stallions. 1 is the bay tobiano half paint expected to be huge
wee.gif
He has a friendly, good nature, a bit lazy but I think he will be fiery under saddle & smart. When average people see him, they will see a huge pinto which is not fashionable here like in the US.
2 is a black tobiano 3 quarters Friesian. He has better movement but it's from the knee & I grew up in the TB/WB/Sporthorse world so I just love the warmblood, sporty look of 1 even though his coloring isn't nearly as impressive as 2's.
1's coloring is saved for me by a lovely blaze & unusual markings from behind as well as solid colored mane & tail.
Coloring is very important to me in a pleasure horse as it just has to look good & do light work. Only soundness comes ahead. If I was looking for a competition horse, color would come last.
2 will be so flashy as a stallion. He will look almost pure Friesian & have those full white feathers & wither splashes. I really don't like his head though. It reminds me of a miniature horse in shape which I don't like in a horse stallion. He doesn't seem to be smart at all but is willing & gentle. He may be too quiet for me. I prefer my horses big & bold, not scrabbling like a crab.
I don't mind 1's head & it's nicely marked. I'm worried though that he might get too husky & lose his elegance. He's 11 months old & this is such a bad time to be judging stamp & proportions. My biggest worry on 1 is that he might mature to look common/crossbred instead of warmblood/sporthorse. Being a 50% cross, he doesn't have the pedigree for me to fall back on to know the build he will develop
he.gif

2 will be predictably Friesian stamped, has better color & movement and will be a crowd wow'er. If only 2 was offered for sale, I'd snatch him up in a second but with 1 around, it's a more difficult decision. Opinions & rotten food(for boo'ing) are welcome to be thrown this way
frow.gif

Last edited:
Hee hee, 2 sounds like the horse for me!

It sounds like you have your heart set on 1. On a personal level, once I find out about temperament and health, it's time for me to listen to which animal I have a stronger connection with/draw to. :) 'Course, that is coming from someone who does not compete, breed, or show any of my critters, so I don't need them to do anything but be healthy and something I love having around.

I like 1. His conformation is better than 2's. 2 has a bit of a weak neck and topline, not very attractive for a potential stallion candidate. But in the end, it's whatever you decide.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom