Frindizzle's Chicken Show - Closed!

6 Days Left!
D.gif

:hugs I'm so sorry about Hootie. I'm sure she had a wonderful life.

Thank you, Frindizzle. We just wish it could've been longer. The hawk is still hanging around, but our other ladies are locked up in their run now. We tried getting them chicken "toys" to make up for the free range time they're missing, but it's just not the same. :(

[
Thank you, Frindizzle. We just wish it could've been longer. The hawk is still hanging around, but our other ladies are locked up in their run now. We tried getting them chicken "toys" to make up for the free range time they're missing, but it's just not the same. :(
:hugs Have you tried hanging tin pans from trees or something to scare the Hawks away?

Quote:
hugs.gif
We live next to a Wildlife Refuge, so we have many hawks over here. We have lots of trees and two roosters for our small flock. One of the roosters is always looking up, and when they give the alarm call, all the other chickens run under the tree. We have only lost one duck - and they went into another neighbors yard with no trees when the Bald Eagle caught them. (I hope this helps a bit... I don't want you to loose anymore chickens. )

We have a big, fake owl. I'll have to try the pans though.
I've only had hawk problems once. A hawk attacked twice in one afternoon, but the Cochin bantams were apparently too heavy for him. The second time we saw him my grandpa shot a gun to scare him away.
So I haven't tried the pans, by I see lots of yards with them to keep deer from the gardens. :idunno

Scout
3 weeks in these photos
Easter Egger
Male

How he loved his little Hot Tub! Being treated for frostbitten feet.

And he also loved curling up under Mama Heating Pad in his indoor brooder.

Other: Scout, all grown up at 7 months. RIP, Sweet Little Man.

Back
Top Bottom