Frizzle Chick: How to Tell?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by countyroad1330, Feb 25, 2008.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    How soon can you tell if a chick has Frizzle? And what do the first wing feathers look like?

There's a random chick in the bin who's wing feathers almost look like they're twisted, kind of like my Silkie's did when it first got feathers. Its about a week and and a half old, Buff color, feather legged, white skin.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    The frizzle I picked up started feathering out wing feathers that curled up at the ends. I thought it was angel wing because I didn't realize it was a frizzle.

See pictures in a post I made on this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17883&p=1

Edited again to say, the chick in that picture is a Roo! [​IMG] I still have him.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2008
  3. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    u start to see it within the first week, usually about 3 days or so. as soon as they get long enough they curl backwards. with frizzles u can have smooth frizzle also, not all will frizzle look but will still be spit for it to carry the gene to the next generation.

4. Hi!
    I can see it at about 3 days.
    Look at the very wing-tips and you should be able to see a bit of a curl to the new feather coming in.
    I love frizzles [​IMG]
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by