1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzle Chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sandbellie, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Are they easily obtained? Or are they some-what rare?

Are they a good breed? What are their laying habits?

Any info on the breed would be great.

Thanks!

2. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Well I think they are fairly rare, but they can be acquired, depending on where you live.

There is a lady here in the Sacramento area (well, I think she's about 15 miles out in another little town) who has sizzles, frizzles, and silkies and sells chicks, hatching eggs, and birds. She has an ad about once a month on craigslist when she has birds or eggs available. Check your local craigslist ads and, of course, keep checking here. Surely someone will answer this thread that lives in your area .... [​IMG]

Good luck to you & I hope you find the birds you seek.

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Actually, the Frizzle isn't a breed - it's a characteristic, like coloring.

For example, I have Polish chickens, Blue, Black, Chocolate and White. The Chocolate is also frizzled, so she is a White Crested Chocolate Frizzled Polish.

Clear as mud?[​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:I haven't heard it stated better than this [​IMG]

Frizzle can occur with ANY breed, and is recognised the the APA and ABA for ALL breeds and varieties.

Sizzle is a bit unique as it has most, but not all silkie characteristics; sizzles do not have silkie feathering.

5. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Okay, well, whats the most common breed to be a Frizzle?

And are they sold at hatcheries/feed stores? Or just by breeders?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    My friend has been driving me nuts looking for frizzles and I keep telling her "frizzle" is not a breed, it's a trait that can be found in many breeds. But, her "needle is stuck," she keeps on looking for frizzles. What she really wants (I think) is a frizzled bantam polish pullet.

7. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I got my 2 frizzles from a chicken swap in June in Waterloo, IL (30 miles from St. Louis)
    The woman who bread them is from Il and I may have her card.
    If interested, contact me.

BTW, my little Sugar Frizzle laid her first egg Christmas Day and Pepper laid her's today. Hurray, they are so small and cute. The eggs are different shades of brown too, so that will make it easier to tell the difference.

picture from this summer. They are bantums.

[​IMG]

8. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Bantam frizzle cochins seem to be the most common. Hatcheries do sell them. I don't recall which ones off hand, but look around. I would suspect Ideal and McMurray do.

I have a few frizzle Seramas which are cute as can be.

They're pretty easy to come by.

Quote:

9. chickenlips1954

chickenlips1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Frizzles are great! I get mine from the local feed and farm store, plus I have hatched out a few of my own. They are terrific little banty chickens, of which I've only had hens, but they are great layers and terrific brooders and mamas!

10. juliette2009

juliette2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Wadmalaw Island, SC
    I breed Frizzled Seramas...they are wonderful, like petting a feather duster!

Juliette

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by