1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzle feathering issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sparkly_diamond, May 7, 2011.

1. sparkly_diamond

sparkly_diamond Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Norfolk, UK
    Hi guys,

My hatch of chicks which are now five weeks are all doing really well, no fighting or health issues other than our two frizzle Pekin chicks. We think ones a boy and ones a girl.

Both have bald patches on their backs. The new adult feathers are growing through as you can see all the spikey tips but I have never seen this before. I have seen no bullying or pecking from the other chicks and just wondered if this was something for me to be concerned about?

[​IMG]
    This (I'm guessing is the roo)

[​IMG]
    What do you think? Roo or pullet? I'm thinking roo

[​IMG]
    The other one

[​IMG]
    And this one I'm thinking girl

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    sorry, i don't know if this is something to be concerned about. I have a few newly hatched frizzles, and i was told not to mate the frizzles with the frizzles-- to only mate frizzle with smooth, or else the chicks may be "frazzled", with thin sparse feathers. Maybe this it what it is? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by