Frizzle Question

Stray

Songster
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
OKC
When you hatch out frizzled chicks, can you tell immediately after it drys out if a chick is frizzled or not? Or do you have to wait for it to fully feather out?

Last edited:
I've been told you can't tell until they are feathered out. When I ordered a frizzle cochin from mypetchicken she made sure I understood that it may or may not frizzle and that I won't know which it is for a while. Right now she's 26 days old and I don't see any signs of frizzling, but who knows what may happen as she feathers more. Having said that, I am far from the authority as this is my first time with a potential frizzle.

It was apparent within the first couple of weeks with my sister's chick. The primary wing feathers came in straight, but after that everything else started curling right away.
If she checks this board tonight I bet she'd post a pic of little Fizzle, the early weeks for comparison.

It is apparent within the first few weeks. Their wing feathers look messy and not smooth. They are very cute! I love frizzles
love.gif

Quote:
I raise them as well. It will take a week or two before you can tell. Also, with frizzles, only 50% or so will be frizzle. I have had hatches of 20 eggs and not one was a frizzle

Back
Top Bottom