Frizzle ringneck pheasants? UPDATED WITH PIC

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by MissD'uccle, Oct 27, 2010.

1. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    ok one more question since you guys are so knowledgeable [​IMG] Has anyone run across a frizzle ringneck pheasant? I think I may have one but I can't find any pics on the web. I have frizzle chickens and this pheasant looks very similar in feathering. I will get a pic today if that would help.

Ok here he is. I have several, about 18 in a pen the same size and he is the only one with the feathers. Just thought it was neat. Thanks for the info on the high protien diet.... he is on 28% right now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Yes, please do get some pics. I'd love to see this bird, sounds really interesting.

3. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    I have had some with some curl to the feathers during adolescent stage. Heard that high protein diet would sometimes cause this. They were on a 30% gamebird starter and once I switched them to adult feed and they molted out the curl went away. Looked kind cool while it lasted but then I like frizzled chickens too.

4. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Quote:I know what you mean, I've had adolescent ones with fuzzed out feathers like that too. lol

5. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    What kind of pen do you have them in? I think it's mostly from what your keeping them in and not there diet as they will molt them out, and if it was a diet thing wouldn't they grow back the same? I have only ever had it happen when they are in brooding cages, that's why I say that.

6. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    He is in a 25 x 25 flight pen. They were out of the brooder pen a soon a they had their feathers.

7. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    Yep, that's what mine looked like.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:ITS DIET. A GREAT MANY DO IT WITH HIGH PROTIEN DIETS NO MATTER THE PEN

9. Tasha Douda

Tasha Douda New Egg

Jul 15, 2014
    I have a few like this currently and they're only on an 18% protein diet. Which makes me think it's not a diet issue.

10. loganstigings

loganstigings New Egg

May 20, 2016
    I noticed that this happen when young male a maturing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by