Frizzle, silkie? Odd comb.. Need help with breed and sex! 5 months

tderoz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Got this little thing in a mix of other chickens I purchased a few weeks ago. Was told it's around 5 months or so. No crowing and yet no egg. I don't know if this is a sizzle or what?! And I can't tell if it's a roo or pullet!! Help!

Those are both what are called "sizzle" (which is a frizzled silkie or silkie cross and has a crest in addition to frizzled feathers). The little red/buff in the back is a pullet while the one in front with the red comb and wattles is a roo. There are lots of chickens that don't start to lay until 6 or even 7 months so I would still give it time for the laying, but I would expect some crowing starting soon.

Those are both what are called "sizzle" (which is a frizzled silkie or silkie cross and has a crest in addition to frizzled feathers). The little red/buff in the back is a pullet while the one in front with the red comb and wattles is a roo. There are lots of chickens that don't start to lay until 6 or even 7 months so I would still give it time for the laying, but I would expect some crowing starting soon.

I agree with these guesses.

What about the weird comb? What is that from..

Because Sizzles are mixed, weird or different combs can crop up. Silkies have Silkie combs (a version of a walnut comb), and if combined with another breed, odd combs can result. Yours look to have a modified version of the walnut comb.

Last edited:
I agree with these guesses.

Because Sizzles are mixed, weird or different combs can crop up. Silkies have Silkie combs (a version of a walnut comb), and if combined with another breed, odd combs can result. Yours look to have a modified version of the walnut comb.
x2

Back
Top Bottom