Frizzle with red feet, lifted scales, limping

frizzlefloof

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2023
Hello! I have a 10 month old frizzle rooster in my flock that has been limping around my yard for about a week, shortly after I rehomed our only other rooster. He is the only chicken in my flock with these symptoms, and he does seem to be eating and drinking normally. We change the bedding in the coop regularly and it is clean and dry. I finally caught him and saw that he has very red toes, and some lifted scales on his feet. No visible cuts or injuries, but his ankles/knees{?} are red, I'm guessing from sitting so much. He has a lot of pin feathers on his feet so I'm wondering if maybe those are irritating him? I've scoured the internet for days, but have ruled out most things, and my local farm store only had bumble foot as a suggestion. But I don't think it's that because there is no swelling, cut or "plug". I did get some antimicrobial spray to use and have only given him one application so far. He isn't as mobile as he normally is and isn't getting up onto the roost as he normally does. I'll try to catch some photos tomorrow to post, but I'm kind of at a loss. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
Hello! I have a 10 month old frizzle rooster in my flock that has been limping around my yard for about a week, shortly after I rehomed our only other rooster. He is the only chicken in my flock with these symptoms, and he does seem to be eating and drinking normally. We change the bedding in the coop regularly and it is clean and dry. I finally caught him and saw that he has very red toes, and some lifted scales on his feet. No visible cuts or injuries, but his ankles/knees{?} are red, I'm guessing from sitting so much. He has a lot of pin feathers on his feet so I'm wondering if maybe those are irritating him? I've scoured the internet for days, but have ruled out most things, and my local farm store only had bumble foot as a suggestion. But I don't think it's that because there is no swelling, cut or "plug". I did get some antimicrobial spray to use and have only given him one application so far. He isn't as mobile as he normally is and isn't getting up onto the roost as he normally does. I'll try to catch some photos tomorrow to post, but I'm kind of at a loss. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you!
Pics will definitely help. I find feather-footed chickens to have a tough time when their feet feathers come on. I also find they are sometimes aggravated by cold and wet weather.

You might try soaking his feet in epsom to clean them off and reduce inflammation. I've also applied ointment to inflamed feet before with mixed success.

Thanks so much for the suggestion of soaking his feet, I've been soaking them for the past couple of days in epsom salts and it does seem to be helping his mobility a little. Cold weather is a recent thing here as I live in Oregon, but wet is pretty normal. lol :) I'm attaching photos, and I'm sorry for the quality/blurriness as I had my young son take them while I held the little rooster... They're the best I can get for now. These were taken immediately after soaking so his feathers are wet. I did release a couple of the ingrown feathers that I noticed after taking photos.
IMG_5830.JPG
IMG_5828.JPG
IMG_5827.JPG

Back
Top Bottom