Frizzle?

Harmony Fowl

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 17, 2017
Virginia
Mixed breed hatch, some shipped as an assortment, others from a very assorted local flock. I’ve never had one before: is this a frizzle? The chick is a bantam, so I’m including the feather development of another bantam chick from the same hatch (though not necessarily the same origin.) Chicks are 6-8 days old.
57B805DA-3DEE-4F84-B97C-297B3DBD5DF0.jpeg

CDDA9A65-3661-4B87-A98A-7A77CE40457E.jpeg

Now five weeks old, poor “Dory Panda” is not handling the cold as well as her hatchmates and is inside and I’m able to get more pictures. Silkie? What is this?
11DC789C-762C-45D0-8315-10E665B26C4C.jpeg
9048CDBF-FF37-43D2-89B9-1B1F058F42A3.jpeg

Yup, Silkie cross, but she looks kind of bedraggled. Good idea to bring her inside for a bit. Silkies are so gentle and sweet, they get picked on!

Yup, Silkie cross, but she looks kind of bedraggled. Good idea to bring her inside for a bit. Silkies are so gentle and sweet, they get picked on!

Yeah, this was immediately after I brought her in. The other chicks are handling the cold well, they probably don’t need to come in anymore at night, though I still bring them, but not this one. She did fine at first, but on the first day where it never got above freezing, I found her huddled and being stepped on and making no move to do anything. She was struggling, so now she stays inside. The other chicks come in at night and I retain a different one each day to keep her company. When it gets back above freezing here Sunday, I’ll give her some time outdoors again. For now I keep the vent in that room closed to it doesn’t get too warm, just not bitterly freezing. Ultimately my bantams will need their own coop and I guess heat will be in order for her winter. She is sweet but rather ditzy. Panda is her original name; she earned “Dory” herself.

Back
Top Bottom