Scratch grains vs prepared feed

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, my local feed mill offers nongmo:

22% game bird feed for $13;
16% chicken feed for $12
14% cattle feed $11 (just crushed oats, corn, soybeans and wheat, no vitamins).

I see that the chickens and baby goats prefer the 16% and 22% feed. I am trying to cut down on costs. Would it be ok, for egg production and general health, to switch to the cattle feed + fresh grass clippings?

You are already getting a great price for feed.
I would mix the game bird feed with the chicken feed in equal parts and offer oyster shell on the side for free choice feeding and not try to cut costs at the health expense of the birds.
The cattle feed is not at all appropriate for poultry. It doesn't meet their nutritional requirements.

The protein needed to keep birds in prime shape and producing eggs is higher than the 14% in the cattle feed.

If a feed is marketed for a specific species it is designed for THAT species. I would use the chicken feed for the chickens. It is lower protein than I prefer for my own flock but at $12 is just $1 more than cattle feed.
What little you save would be offset by higher egg production and healthier birds.

That said there are many more things to consider in feed than just protein levels. There are all the trace minerals, vitamins, amino acids, calcium and more.

Personally, I buy the higher protein game feed for my flock (chickens, goose, turkey, quail) and use it as a supplemental feed to a mix of fermented grains. I've only been using this method for a few months, but have found that my girls are eating less, have better body composition, less health issues and egg production doesn't seem to be affected. There's also less feed waste. I will usually feed them the fermented feed for a day or two then the protein crumble while the grain pail re-ferments. They also have oyster shell available at all times. Wish we had your prices down here... a 50lb bag of 20% feed is $30- at the cheapest :barnie

Personally, I buy the higher protein game feed for my flock (chickens, goose, turkey, quail) and use it as a supplemental feed to a mix of fermented grains. I've only been using this method for a few months, but have found that my girls are eating less, have better body composition, less health issues and egg production doesn't seem to be affected. There's also less feed waste. I will usually feed them the fermented feed for a day or two then the protein crumble while the grain pail re-ferments. They also have oyster shell available at all times. Wish we had your prices down here... a 50lb bag of 20% feed is $30- at the cheapest :barnie
Thanks for the insights.
Where can I learn how to ferment grain?

Back
Top Bottom