Frizzles and Silkies in the cold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spotsplus, Jan 16, 2011.

1. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    How do frizzles and silkies do in the cold? Anyone have any experience?

Tammie

2. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    We Live On Long Island Ny Where The Lowest It Gets Some Times On A Cold Winter Is Single Digets. My Oldest Frizzle Is 9 And Had Silkies About 8 Yrs Here With Out Any Problems. They Are In A Solid Wood Coop 3/4 In Plywood With Windows That I Keep Closed But Do Have Vents That I Keep Open. No Type Of Heat. I Give Them A Little Extra Scratch. I Dont Let Them Out When It Rains Because The Water Does Not Repel On The Silkies. In The Run I Staple 3 Mm Clear Plastic (for Table Cloth Cover) From Walmart In The Sewing Dept. ( Only Walmarts With The Cut By The Yard Fabric Carry It). I Dont Enclose The Run All The Way For Ventilation

3. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I moved mine into the barn with her best friend who is molting right now. When my frizzle stretches her neck out I can see bare skin and I get cold just looking at her. I have a empty stall in my barn so I put her in there until it gets warmer here.

4. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in NC, & my silkies did fine in the winter, they had a coop & run the run was a 10x20 dog pen and on the corners of the pen i had sheets of roofing tin over their roosts, the roosters wouldnt even go in the coop! they stayed on the outside all winter! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by