Frizzles, how are they made?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by skylarkdancer87, Apr 16, 2011.

1. skylarkdancer87

skylarkdancer87 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Middle southern TN
    The lady I got my Silkies from had a GORGEOUS frizzle hen, and she had no idea how she was getting them, I had never seen one until I saw her. Does anyone know how they are made? Just curious. [​IMG]

2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    they arent made, they are just a mutated gene that pops up from time to time, like silkied feathers....only the silkied gene is a recessive and the frizzled gene is a dominant....

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    As said above, so thus, it is often introduced into new breeds, too. (from crossbreeding) There are now frizzled Polish, Silkies, Seramas, Ameraucanas, Easter Eggers, Cochins, Houdans, Sicilian Buttercups, D'Uccles, and several other breeds I can't think of at the moment.

4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    she gets them from the mother hen carrying the frizzle gene. the best frizzle is one carrying frizzle and normal genes as frizzle/frizzle will have poor feathering. this being crossed with silkies, she will get 1/2 frizzles, 1/2 silkies because the frizzle gene is a dominate gene.
    I have heard but I don't think its true, you can get frizzled feathered from 2 none frizzled birds.
    I find with my own hatches, I tend to have many more silkie feathered chicks then frizzled. not 1/2 and 1/2

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  5. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    I have seen frizzled old english as well...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by