Frizzles

ashleymarie82

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2016
Can anyone tell me how to make a frizzle? Basically, where did they come from and how do you get a purebred frizzle?

I'm not particularly looking into doing this, I just want to know how.

The reason is because I have a frizzle orphington roo. He is with a mixed flock, so no purebred chicks for sure. But I'm just curious as to how one creates a purebred frizzle and it still be purebred? How do you get that gene without veering away from the breed?

I'm not sure how you "create" a frizzle. What I do know is that it is a genetic mutation found in a variety of breeds particularly cochins. And since its a mutation and not a actual breed you can't have a purebred frizzle. Just like if a man with brown eyes and a woman with blue eyes had a blue eyed child. That doesn't mean that the child doesn't have pure blue eyes because her fathers were brown. It was just a genetic mutation passed down from her mother. Same thing with frizzle chickens.

Last edited:
Good questions! I am not an expert but will share what I know.

Frizzle is not a breed, it is a feather type.

You should never breed two frizzled birds together as it can create chicks with brittle features.

If you breed him with a smooth, a portion of the chicks will be frizzled.

:)

What I meant by purebred is one breed of chicken. Like a frizzle that has a Cochin dad and Cochin mom. It is all Cochin. For example.

If you bred a frizzled Cochin to a smooth feathered Cochin then yes, any of the frizzle offspring would be purebred Cochins. Or any other breed for that matter. Is that what you were asking?
goodpost.gif

If you bred a frizzled Cochin to a smooth feathered Cochin then yes, any of the frizzle offspring would be purebred Cochins. Or any other breed for that matter. Is that what you were asking?

Not really. I know that you don't breed a frizzle to a frizzle. And I know that only 50% of offspring exhibits frizzle.

I really just want to know how you get frizzle to begin with. Where did the very first frizzle come from? Obviously the frizzle gene came from somewhere. Is it a "deformity"?

Not really. I know that you don't breed a frizzle to a frizzle. And I know that only 50% of offspring exhibits frizzle.

I really just want to know how you get frizzle to begin with. Where did the very first frizzle come from? Obviously the frizzle gene came from somewhere. Is it a "deformity"?

Yes, the frizzle gene is a mutation. Just like the first person with blue eyes was the result of a mutation. I don't know where the first frizzle came from.

Back
Top Bottom