Frodo - proud papa and the coolest roo!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Godiva, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I just have to brag on Frodo my Bantam Partridge Cochin roo. I have had him in one section of a chicken tractor and his lady love Calypso in the other half. She went broody and sat on some eggs for two weeks and hatched them. She has been raising them next to him for a few weeks and I kept wondering how he would do with them. After watching them interacting through the wire (Frodo calling her for treats etc and trying to get food to her through the wire) I decided to try putting him with Calypso and her 5 chicks. I sat in the tractor with them so I could grab him if necessary. He rushed right over to the piece of watermelon I had put in there and started pecking bits off for his little flock. THe chicks were all around him picking bits of watermelon off his beak, testing out his foot feathers and he didn't even twitch an eyelid. He went to the feeder and called them all there and has not once been at all aggressive. He did put the tiny roo in its place a couple of times with a peck but honestly I was so impressed. THen a couple of days later I went out a bit late ( already dark and the light hadn't come on for them - too hot they do most of their eating at night!) and they had all settled on the roost next to each other but the roo chick that has practically no feathers yet and feels the cold was between Frodos legs all snuggled in the fluff and Frodo was looking very unsure of himself and rather surprised at the little guest! I had such a chuckle watching them all! Frodo didn't move until the chick decided to move on - how cool is that!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    that is so sweet.

3. Yotta Yotta

Yotta Yotta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Madison AL
    Now that is cuteness! I just got some Bantam Cochins. When I pick out which rooster I want I hope he'll be like yours!

4. Coop-a-kick

Coop-a-kick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    One rooster to rule them all!

What a great story. I've never heard of a nurturing rooster before, and the part about trying to feed Calypso treats through the wire is especially awwwww-worthy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by