From 5 Hens to 1...not a good day

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!
LL

hugs.gif
This is why I haven't ever let my pullets out of the run. I have four dogs and the wiener dog is the most trusting, last week I got enough courage to let her into the run and she did good for the most part. I hope one day I'm able to let them free range but that will be far into the future I'm sure. Best of luck to you and your hen! Welcome to the site.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your loss. Not the dog's fault. It's just her instinct as an hunting dog. Just make sure that the dog never has access to the chickens again.

Thank you everyone for your posts. We still have our cocker and have attempted to create a safe space for our chickens. Unfortunately the dog is a digger and on that day she dug under her fence and dug into the chicken fence. Determined! With some extra chicken wire, logs, rocks, and being as mindful as possible we have kept the chickens safe. Soooo...we got 7 welsummer pullets and our one surviving hen perked right on upon their arrival. It was so neat to see how she instantly became the lead hen. We're enjoying our new flock and couldn't be happier that our other hen is talking on the mama role.
The girls are about 10 weeks now and all transitioned. Any advice on when it's safe to let them free range? They have a huge penned area, but I'd like to let them roam the yard with our older hen as well. Also, I've been searching threads, whats the take on cold weather. Supposed to drop here to 40 tonight, how quickly summer leaves us. At 10 weeks old are the pullets okay in that cold of weather.
Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom