From Brooder to Coop to Free Range

vigario

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
I just got a few little chicks. Could someone please help witn the following:

How long before I can move them from the brooder box to outside?

When I move them outside do they go into a coop with a run?

If so, how old must they be before they free range?

Thanks a ton.

Hi, and welcome!

The suggestion that I have read is when they are fully feathered out. I have 4 Red sexlinks, 1 EE, 1 Polish, 1 Silkie and 2 other Bantams that I'm not sure of their breed. Mine all are feathered out at the age of 5-6 weeks. They are now 6 weeks and are ready for the big coop!

When I move them outside do they go into a coop with a run?

If so, how old must they be before they free range?

Many suggest a run especially if you have predators roaming about. I wanted to give free-ranging a try. At 1-3 week we would take them out with us and let them run about the yard. At this age they stuck by our feet and it was only for an hour or two. By 4 weeks they were running around the yard for 4-5 hours a day while we were home. At 6 weeks I keep them outside running around from 7am - 8pm when they put themselves back in their brooder. I go out to lock it and bring them in to the our mudroom for the night. They have fresh water in the brooder for them to drink during the day and evening. I also keep fresh chick feed in there but they prefer the bugs and weeds!

Again, I am a new chicken owner. I will be raising my chickens for meat and eggs. If you are keeping yours for pets than a run will be the way to go. The experienced chicken owners on here are so helpful. I'm sure they will give you great hints and guide you through anything that may arise.​

Last edited:
It depends on your climate and the breed of the chickens, but I keep them in the brooder for about six weeks. Then I keep them locked in a cage in the coop for a week. This is to get them accustom to the coop and the other chickens, and then I let them go into the run. After another week I let them free range with the other chickens in the afternoons and evenings. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom