From brooder to coop.

Bteeg

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2017
Kentucky
So my chicks are going on 6 weeks old. The coop will be finished this weekend and I was wondering what is the best way to transition chicks from a brooder to a coop?
They are used to being inside my house. Should I put them in the coop for a couple hours everyday and just add a couple hours everyday?

I'm about to be in the same situation. I was thinking I would just put them in the coop for a week so they know that is home, then let them out to a limited free range on about an acre. I don't think a gradual transition to the coop would be necessary. I've been letting my 3 week old chicks have "play" time outside the brooder every afternoon and it is a real hassle gathering them out of the brooder and taking them to the "playground" and then bringing them back! They enjoy being out but not the transition!

It's good to put the chicks outside for increasing periods of time, during the day. This helps them to get acclimatised to the cooler temps. When it's time for them to transition fully, put them in the coop, with food and water and keep them there for 2-3 days before you let them out. A flashlight in the coop will help encourage them to return to the coop, should you have issues thereafter.

So my chicks are going on 6 weeks old. The coop will be finished this weekend and I was wondering what is the best way to transition chicks from a brooder to a coop?
They are used to being inside my house. Should I put them in the coop for a couple hours everyday and just add a couple hours everyday?
I'm about to be in this situation as well! Are you still supplementing any heat? It's been in the 80's here this week, but my chicks still have their Mama Heating Pad to cuddle if they get cold at night. I'm wondering if I should turn that off to get them acclimated to the cooler nights.

At that age you can do it either way. I imagine your forecast for this weekend is a lot like mine, lows in the 40’s and rain. Then it gets even warmer. As long as the coop is dry and the wind doesn’t blow on them when they are on the coop floor, they can handle that at 6 weeks. Your coop is probably bigger than the brooder, they will enjoy the extra room.

Chickens often don’t handle change really well. Going into the coop probably won’t be upsetting, but if they are not used to being in the dark they can get upset the first time and start peeping. You’d think they were dying. But if you leave them alone a while, they get over it.

When you are ready to open the pop door and let them enjoy the outdoors, don’t be shocked if they don’t want to. Sometimes when I open the pop door they are all on the ground within 15 minutes. Sometimes it takes three days or more for the first one to get brave enough to go outside. I just leave it up to them to decide when they want to go outside, eventually they will.

I'm about to be in this situation as well! Are you still supplementing any heat? It's been in the 80's here this week, but my chicks still have their Mama Heating Pad to cuddle if they get cold at night. I'm wondering if I should turn that off to get them acclimated to the cooler nights.

I took away all of their heat sources a few days ago as it has been low 80s during the day and 50s at night. I always check before bed to make sure they aren't too cold. I have 8 of them and they always sleep cuddling together in a corner. It's pretty cute.

I'm about to be in the same situation.  I was thinking I would just put them in the coop for a week so they know that is home, then let them out to a limited free range on about an acre.  I don't think a gradual transition to the coop would be necessary.  I've been letting my 3 week old chicks have "play" time outside the brooder every afternoon and it is a real hassle gathering them out of the brooder and taking them to the "playground" and then bringing them back!  They enjoy being out but not the transition!

Ha! Totally know what you mean about trying to wrangle them up and take them back inside once playtime is over.
1f602.png

I took away all of their heat sources a few days ago as it has been low 80s during the day and 50s at night. I always check before bed to make sure they aren't too cold. I have 8 of them and they always sleep cuddling together in a corner. It's pretty cute.
I unplugged my MHP last night and today at 10am when I went for a mid morning check, they were still cuddled up on top of it! I need the MHP for some newly hatched chicks my mom is bring home from her school for us to keep alive over the weekend. I left the older chicks a towel to snuggle up next to. Someone in another thread I'm in said to keep supplementing with heat at night until they have feathers on their head. I am going to closely play with no heat at all and see how they do! Plus they have more room to run around now!

Back
Top Bottom