From brooder to new coop

GalvestonWader

Chirping
Apr 5, 2021
Texas
Hey, new chicken owner here. My (4) chicks are 5 weeks old now and we are about to move them out to their new coop. They've been in my shop in the brooder box up until this point. All are doing well and pretty much feathered out. Our weather in SE Texas is great right now, but will start getting hot before too long.

The new coop has a fully enclosed run attached to it. Based on what I've read, I am going to lock them in the coop for a few days and let them get acclimated to their new home. I have blocked off the laying boxes so they don't sleep and poop in there. After they get comfortable in the coop, I will let them out in the run to explore during the day and put them back in the coop at night. Is this the right way to do it? I am just going by what I've read on here and online.

Also, should I keep using pine shavings in the coop? It has a poop drawer that will get cleaned out weekly. What about in the run? Should I put some hay down on the ground, or just leave the grass like it is? Any other suggestions y'all have are much appreciated. This is our first time raising chickens.

Hey, new chicken owner here. My (4) chicks are 5 weeks old now and we are about to move them out to their new coop. They've been in my shop in the brooder box up until this point. All are doing well and pretty much feathered out. Our weather in SE Texas is great right now, but will start getting hot before too long.

The new coop has a fully enclosed run attached to it. Based on what I've read, I am going to lock them in the coop for a few days and let them get acclimated to their new home. I have blocked off the laying boxes so they don't sleep and poop in there. After they get comfortable in the coop, I will let them out in the run to explore during the day and put them back in the coop at night. Is this the right way to do it? I am just going by what I've read on here and online.

Also, should I keep using pine shavings in the coop? It has a poop drawer that will get cleaned out weekly. What about in the run? Should I put some hay down on the ground, or just leave the grass like it is? Any other suggestions y'all have are much appreciated. This is our first time raising chickens.
I have a dirt ground in the coop so they could dust bathe

Put up a low roost in their new coop, say 6-8" off the floor. They should naturally want to roost there at night. That will help home them to the coop.

You want a nice thick bed of pine shavings or other bedding in the coop. When they jump off the roost, they need a soft landing to keep from injuring their feet and legs.

I didn't have to put mine in the coop at night, they just did that themselves. They were used to being on the roost, and they are very much creatures of habit.

You don't need to worry about the grass in the run. It won't be there for long. :gigThe chicks will eat, scratch, claw, and beak it into nothingness. It will be dirt in less than two weeks, I bet.

If the coop is large enough and ventilated enough to safely keep the birds inside, locking them in for a few days can help home them to it.

If it's not, then best to let them have access to coop and run, and then you'll need to go in and herd them into the coop at night until they figure it out.

You don't need to worry about the grass in the run. It won't be there for long. :gigThe chicks will eat, scratch, claw, and beak it into nothingness. It will be dirt in less than two weeks, I bet.
x2. Now's a good time to think about how you want to manage the run litter going forward. Lots of different options, from sand (optimal for dry climates, covered runs) to deep litter (optimal for wetter climates), so do some research here to see what might work best for you. Or check with your state forum thread to see what others in your region are using.

Back
Top Bottom