From chicks to a tastey dish

loudraven

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 26, 2012
I've raised Freedom Range from chicks to butcher around 11 weeks. My grandma loved the feet and couldn't believe how big the feet were. I think that is the best part. She wanted the wings and feet and That's what she got. I was wondering if other birds taste different or better. She couldn't believe how big they were compared to the store bought feet. Does anyone know if foot size is breed specific? I loved the stages from chicks to dinner!
I've read alot of posts stating that cutting is better. I hatchet the birds and when cleaning them there isn't a lot of blood. Does it really matter? My birds are cleaner and less bloody then other birds bought at the store.
Thanks Mike

I didn't know people ate chicken feet.
hu.gif
I would think they would be chewy and hard to eat, no? I definitely don't want to find out for myself - just asking out of curiosity.

If you dip the feet in boiling water you can peel off the outer coating and are left with clean feet. They make the very best broth ever. Adds lots of gelatin. I don't actually eat the feet but I do use it for making stock.

You don't really eat the feet but rather "suck on them?" from what I gather. Clucky, you should try making soup stock with them you might just like the flavor of the foot!

I have eaten chicken feet several times in Chinese restaurants. They are cooked in a sauce until they are fall apart tender, so you can just suck the flesh off and spit out the bones. They are tasty once you get past the "yuck" factor. I definitely like chicken feet better than sea cucumber, which I will eat to be polite because I know it is considered to be a delicacy and I do not want to offend, but I do not like the flavor or texture.

What is a yummy treat and what is yucky is largely cultural. The foods we are raised with tend to be our default setting, and when presented with something that is outside of those norms, we often reject the food without trying it.

I love the feet fried or pressure cooked.My grandkids think that grandpa eats everything on a chicken but the cluck (LOL)

To me there is nothing grosser than making sucking noises while you eat. Slurp is okay, but sucking. Yuck! That is why I don't eat Crawfish. I was at a restaurant with DH a long time ago (we were just dating then) and a guy in the middle of the restaurant, eating Crawfish, was making such a loud sucking noise everyone could hear even over the music. It totally grossed me out. I thought he was either going to pass out or get an aneurysm.

Just spoke to a good friend of mine who is Filipino and his dad loves feet from chicken. They call them Adidas's, like the shoe and its considered a treat. I think next week is chicken feet for meat. I do agree that it does sound a little gross but hey I grew up eating the heart and livers of chickens and that grosses out people. Why not, the worst thing that can happen is I don't like them. Now I'm out to find the biggest and tastiest feet around. From a chicken of course!

Last edited:
Just spoke to a good friend of mine who is Filipino and his dad loves feet from chicken.    They call them Adidas's, like the shoe and its considered a treat.  I think next week is chicken feet for meat.  I do agree that it does sound a little gross but hey I grew up eating the heart and livers of chickens and that grosses out people.  Why not, the worst thing that can happen is I don't like them.   Now I'm out to find the biggest and tastiest feet around.  From a chicken of course!

HAHA calling chicken feet "Adidas" is just as funny to me as the English habit of calling pigs feet "trotters." I love that kind of stuff. And here I am, a native of the south where we have all sorts of funny sayings of our own we get laughed at for. It's all in how much of a sense of humor you have I guess.

Back
Top Bottom