From flock of five to a flock of one!!

04SportsterChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Maryland
The night that Sandy hit us something got in my run/coop. I am guessing a fox cause we have been seeing one around the neighborhood. He got 3 of my girls and one a friend has taken in to try to see if she can nurse her back. The last one my Golden Comet - Ginger is now so afraid and runs at any sound. I sat with her yesterday and in the middle of the afternoon she fluffed her feathers and stood on one leg closing her eyes until she heard a noise and jumped. Then she would close them again and well it continued for a while till she walked off under the coop. She is eating well but she has got to be lonely. I am hoping my other one gets better and I can bring her back so they have each other. I have heard and read that chickens do not do well alone. Could she still be shaken from the attack, or could there be something wrong? I do not want her to be alone and scared but I don't want to give up hope that my other hen will heal and be OK. My last resort is to try to get her in with my moms flock. I know this takes time but any ideas on how to co-mingle them if I have to?

Oh, sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I lost three of my four girls in September. I was heartbroken and felt so badly for the one that was left. She acted similar to yours - extremely jumpy. Spent a lot of time in the coop. Didn't peck around a lot - was just kind of still. Over time she got better. Now she is back to normal. Good luck with your other hen - hopefully Ginger will have a friend again soon.

Chickens do not do well alone at all. I have seen them pace the enclosure until they are exhausted. They depend on the flock for security and when that is taken away, they have to always be on alert. I would recommend getting another hen to keep her company so she is not so stressed out, even if your injured hen recovers.

edited for spelling.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry that happened :( Ours were very skittish with dilated pupils for quite a few days after coyotes took half the flock. I agree with the previous post that you should get another hen for her - they are very social little animals.

Thank you for the replies!! I couldn't find any for sale close and in my price range so I started calling the people on Craigslist who advertise fresh eggs. Some very nice man said he had 35 some hens and would be willing to sell me one cheap. He is about an hour away so I am going tomorrow to pick her up and fingers crossed introductions will go well. My husband is rigging some kind of enclosure next to ours so they can see each other for a while first. I spoke to my friend who is taking care of Cinnamon and she thinks she has a leg injury but is eating more and trying to stand. I think that is a good sign maybe a few more weeks if she keeps improving she can come home too!!

I have had to seperate hens before. It sounds cruel, but get a wire cage only big enough for a plastic coffee container for water and a feeder with enough room for her to have a roosting spot and stretch her wings and legs, place the cage on your porch with tin all around it and the roof leaving the South side open for air and light. Give's them a sense of security, and she is closer to you and away from the attack area to calm down. Then you can release her and the other hen later when threats are gone. This is also how I care for injured hens.
Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom